The Comma Punctuates Its Independence

CELIA PATTERSON/THE OBSERVER

Members of The Comma celebrate their new independence.

By GABE SAMANDI

This semester, changes are coming to The Comma, Fordham Lincoln Center’s creative literature publication.

Historically, The Comma has published literary submissions from the Fordham community in the final issue of The Observer each semester. Beginning as an initiative to celebrate the creative writers at Fordham Lincoln Center’s campus, The Comma has since grown into a fully-fledged club. With that, The Comma recently decided to move toward self-publication.

Abby Wheat, Fordham College at Lincoln Center ’19 and treasurer for The Comma, explained that the change came from a desire for “slightly more creative freedom.” Moving out of the pages of The Observer and into an independent magazine will encourage that creative freedom, according to Wheat.

“We’re hoping for a 32-page, full-color magazine,” she said. “It works a little better for the many art pieces we’ve received.”

In addition to being able to print more works in color, there will be fewer restrictions on the content. Wheat pointed to several nude submissions which The Observer had declined to publish in the past.

“What we’re trying to do is build a robust creative community for people at Fordham Lincoln Center,” Wheat said, “so that anyone can submit and have their work published in both a fun and professional format.”

In the first wholly-independent magazine, students will find content previously published in The Observer in addition to unreleased works from the spring 2019 semester. The Comma is also taking steps to publish audio and video submissions on its website.

Wheat expressed these changes are a sign of growth for the group. “Basically, we’re hoping to make The Comma a more creative and exciting publication.”