Fordham Students Weigh in on Olympics

By KEVIN SAMMUT

Published February 18, 2010

The Vancouver Organizing Committee for the 2010 Winter Olympics reported that three billion people watched the opening ceremonies on Feb. 12. While that number may be an overestimate (1.6 of the planet’s 6.6 billion people live without electricity), at least a few Fordham students were watching. With the diverse makeup of the Fordham student population, rooting interests ranged across the wide spectrum of competing nations, and even for students not normally caught up in the wide world of sports, the Olympics are hard to ignore, dominanting television programming every night for two weeks.  Below, Fordham students share their takes on the Games.

MAYA SAOUD, FCLC ’10
President of Middle Eastern Students Association

Do you plan on following the Games?

“I may watch the opening ceremonies, but I probably will not be following any of the competitions on television. At the most, I’ll check on how many medals different countries have won. I am generally more adamant about keeping up with the Summer Olympics. Winter sports just aren’t the most common in the Middle East.  The only country sending athletes this winter that I can identify with is Lebanon.”

Any other countries you’ll be rooting for?

“I will always root for the United States.  It’s also easy to get caught up in the glamour of being a champion country.  I also do deep down root for the few Middle Eastern countries in competition for the underdog feel of it all.”

ERIN YANG, FCLC ’11
Vice President of Asian Pacific American Coalition

Will you be watching the Vancouver Games?

“I won’t set aside time for the Olympics, but I’ll watch them whenever my family or friends do.”

How do you plan on following the action?

“I’ll watch the Olympics on television, unless I miss an amazing competition, in which case I’ll look it up online.”

Which country will you be cheering for?

“I will be rooting for the United States and South Korea.”

RYAN O’TOOLE, FCLC ’12
President Pro Tempore of United Student Government

Do you plan on following the Games?

“I will definitely be watching the Olympics.”

What is the appeal of watching the Games?

“I always find myself enjoying sports I would never otherwise choose to watch like curling or skeleton. I’m

an instant fan of those sports during the Olympics.”

Which country are you pulling for?

“I’m 100 percent Irish in my heritage, but I will be rooting for the United States.  The Olympics are one of the greatest displays of true patriotism. A part of me also wants the Irish team to do well, but the chances of Ireland having a successful winter games is fairly low.”

What do you think about National Hockey League pros in the Olympics?

“I’m a diehard Washington Capitals fan, but I will not be rooting for Alex Ovechkin and the Russian hockey team.  Country always comes before team.”

NICK SULICKI, FCLC ’11
Treasurer of Polish Student Organization

“Usually I only tune in for the opening ceremonies.  But with all of the excitement coming from the Summer Olympics, I have considered watching the Winter Olympics.”

Any plans on how you’ll follow the action?

“I will try to watch some of it on television, but because of my busy schedule, I think I will be following mostly via Internet and newspaper coverage. Though I’m not a huge sports fan, the Olympics dominate the media.  It’s hard not to take an interest.”

Which country will you be rooting for?

“The country I would naturally root for would be Poland, being that I’m Polish myself.  As for the athletes, I decide who to root for right before an event.”