Finals Survival Guide: Getting Over the Finals Slump

LENA ROSE/THE OBSERVER

Getting through finals can be hard, but there are some ways that students can reduce stress.

By ETTA SHAW

It’s undeniable that finals season is one of the most stressful aspects of college life. Along with everyday stressors and the awful weather that comes this time of year, it is easy to become overwhelmed with the amount of responsibilities popping up. Although, as a freshman, I haven’t survived finals at Fordham yet, I sought the advice of some upperclassmen and compiled a list to help students stay afloat at the end of the semester.

Dress to de-stress

The most common suggestion that I received was to dress nice to counteract a sour mood. Try putting on a cute outfit and doing your makeup. When you look good, you feel good. This is a quick and easy way to set you up for a good day. It can help motivate you to work harder and put you in the right mindset to take on the day. This is the reason behind strict office dress codes. Dress as the person that you want to be and it will help you actualize your goals.

Get organized

Look at your workspace. Is everything where it should be? Take 15 minutes to tidy up and organize your room every day to help clear your mind. It can also help to plan out everything that you need to work on. Some have found it beneficial to visualize all of their tasks using a physical planner. Doing so can release some of the stress that comes from having to remember everything on your plate.

Focus on food

Speaking of plates, make sure you drink enough water and eat enough healthy food. It can be very tempting to grab something quick and greasy, but consider meal prepping your food the week before finals to save a bit of money while also getting healthy and easy meals. There are microwaves in the Ram Cafe, Argo Tea and Smeltzer dining halls. These will help you add variety to your food and opens up many more options when planning lunches.

Know that it will be over

One student that I spoke with celebrated the fact that finals will eventually be over. The chaos that you feel in the midst of exams won’t last forever. This can be a comforting fact as it shows that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. All of this stress will work out in your favor as long as you get through it.

Take time to treat yourself

Although your bank account and your body frown on overindulgence, now is the best time to find time for yourself. This time doesn’t have to be unhealthy or expensive. It could be a simple face mask while studying or some fresh fruit from the fruit stand on the street corner. Take at least 15 minutes to treat yourself with kindness everyday and your body and mind will thank you.

Get a good night’s sleep

“I’ll go to sleep after I finish this essay” sounds good in theory but in reality, it is asking for trouble. By compromising your sleep, you are putting yourself at risk for numerous health issues, along with conditioning unhealthy habits. It is important for people between the ages of 18 and 21 to get at least eight hours of sleep. That may seem very unrealistic now, but this is where adequate time management comes into play. Completing your work on time will lead to more time to do what you want to do (including sleep).

Reach out for help

The beauty of studying at Fordham is that you are in a community. You are always surrounded by people that care about you and want the best for you. No one is meant to go through life alone. If you ever feel overwhelmed about life, try reaching out to friends or family who may be able to give you valuable advice on how to deal with the stress. It can often help to talk out your issues with Fordham’s Counseling and Psychological services located in G02 in 140 West 62nd St.