I Hate Dogs and I Am Not a Horrible Human Being

Back to Article
Back to Article

Sarah McLachlan would like a word.

Sarah McLachlan would like a word.

Ampersand72 VIA FLICKR

Sarah McLachlan would like a word.

Ampersand72 VIA FLICKR

Ampersand72 VIA FLICKR

Sarah McLachlan would like a word.

By TATIANA GALLARDO, Contributing Writer

2018 is almost over, and with it will come the end of the year of the dog. Halle-freakin-lujah. These furry creatures already get enough attention without an official 365-day period of dedication. From the endless Instagram dog accounts to the bulldogs stopping traffic on the streets, they’re everywhere I turn. You will not catch me cooing every time a furry four-legged beast comes my way. Here’s the thing: I hate dogs.

Cue the inevitable cries of shock, disgust, and terror. “How can that be possible?” friends and strangers alike always ask me. “Are you even human?” they’ll ponder after watching me remain indifferent in the presence of a palm-sized pooch.

Supposedly, humanity rests in pet adoration. Those that are decidedly disinterested in four legged-friends are stigmatized outsiders. I’m tired of having to apologize for my opinions or mitigate the intensity of my feelings just to appease the puppy-crazed masses.  No, I do not like dogs, and no, I am not a cold-blooded monster.

My disdain for dogs comes from how I grew up. My family attempted to adopt a Bernese Mountain Dog when I was eight. “Attempted” is the key word. Her name was Romy and she quickly became the family chore as opposed to the family friend. She required time and energy constantly. Quite frankly, we Gallardos are simply not pet people. It’s in our genes.

Instead of adoration, I felt excessive apathy. I didn’t care for Romy at all. Hearing her aggressive howl mid-morning to be taken outside for a walk didn’t exactly motivate me to feel love and affection. Standing outside in the freezing cold every morning with a doggie bag in my hand while awaiting some fresh, warm animal poo didn’t give me a rush of excitement that an owner might feel. Quite frankly, Romy needed way too much attention, which I simply did not have enough to give. I was — and am — in a state of my life in which I would rather interact with real humans than play fetch with furry neighbors at the dog park. Romy required way too much work, and she stripped me of my independence.

After owning her for two years, I realized the undeniable: Most dogs are dirty and smelly. You can literally smell when someone owns a furry creature. Maintenance of their hygiene requires time and money that I do not have. On top of that, dogs never leave you alone. Maybe it’s my inner introvert talking, but I don’t want to come home to a dog sticking its nose in my business and begging for attention. I want peace, quiet and solitude.

The thought of having to care for a creature that can’t even hold a conversation with me is not enticing. It is a colossal waste of my money and energy. This is where I feel like I need to make a promise: I swear I am not a cold-hearted freak. I just have different priorities than dog-lovers do. I think dogs are smelly, unclean, annoying and, ultimately, too much work. I shouldn’t have to apologize for this.

Puppy bait doesn’t work on me. The number of Tinder profiles I’ve come across with the cringe-inducing “That’s my dog” bios referencing dog-owner personality shots has made me realize even more emphatically how rare I am to not be interested in swiping right.

One time on a first date (after listening to 20 minutes of stories about his little Brewster’s obedience class updates), a guy got very serious with me as he whispered, “You just can’t trust a dog hater.” I sipped my drink with a smirk and quipped, “But what if they like doggy style?” He nearly choked. I didn’t see him again.

It’s not just potential romantic prospects that don’t trust someone who doesn’t like dogs. It seems like it’s everyone. Dog disdain is met with stigmatization and shock. A quick Google search on disliking dogs leads to a downward spiral into the inner workings of online forums where people opine with zero restraints under the disguise of an internet persona. One Quora member wrote that finding out someone he knows doesn’t like dogs “is a warning signal that something is wrong with this person, and I would avoid them.”

One of the things that makes humanity so beautiful is the difference in opinions and backgrounds amongst people everywhere. Do we not believe in diversity anymore? Dog haters are the rare group that isn’t encouraged to embrace its “difference.” Instead, the entire collective is deemed appalling.

This is entirely unfair and my indignation cannot be kept quiet. It appears that we live in a society in which our personalities and distastes are warning signs. Not a fan of chocolate? You’re inhuman. Dislike music? You’re insane. Don’t want a pet? Goodbye.

These judgments and denouncements are ridiculous, especially considering we are in an age that champions inclusion and acceptance. Inclusion isn’t applied to us canine condemners. We’re just “not human.” This can’t continue because our personal preferences are exactly that: personal. Everyone has their own likes and dislikes, whether they stem from family traditions, personal experience or simply a developed feeling.

Don’t get me wrong; I get the appeal of dogs. They can be someone’s best friend. They fill an emotional void with genuine unconditional love. As companions, they’re loyal, obedient and kind. They can even help those with a medical impairment. I think that’s amazing and I respect it — from a very far, very necessary distance. This respect now needs to come from both ends. I’ll respect the woof if you respect my opinion.

12 Comments

12 Responses to “I Hate Dogs and I Am Not a Horrible Human Being”

1. Chad on November 9th, 2018 3:12 am

Dogs are the worst.

2. Carmen M Smith on November 9th, 2018 7:52 am

It’s about time someone published an article like this! Not everyone likes canines – some of us suffer from cynophobia, which is one of the top phobias around – and some people just don’t care for animals, period (like my brother). I don’t hate dogs, but I can’t say I am enthralled by them either. I don’t understand the mentality of those who claim that dogs are ‘better’ than people, and I find Dog Worship Culture an extreme circlejerk of hive minds and insanity. Dogs are just animals, and to be honest, are more irritating than endearing.

3. Jane on November 9th, 2018 2:39 pm

I agree 100%. I’m not a dog person. Indeed “dogs are smelly, unclean, annoying”. No thanks.

4. Gumana Attal on November 15th, 2018 2:39 pm

I love love love this. I’m 100% a cat person and don’t feel any kind of connection to this “puppy trend.” Finally, someone is speaking what was on the mind of 78405987643 other people in hiding!!!

Love this!

5. Gumana Attal on November 15th, 2018 2:44 pm

Hey there!
    Let me just say, you finally said what was on 16274728 people’s mind!!! I’m 100% a cat person, but even if I wasn’t, I do not understand the “puppy trend”
    So I can totally relate, you are NOT alone sista!

6. Borislava on November 20th, 2018 3:51 pm

You are not ALONE!

7. John on December 22nd, 2018 1:35 pm

Bingo you nailed it. I had a person I was dating actually say to me dog people are better than regular people, as you might guess she was a dog person. Don’t want to sit on the furniture or lay in a bed where the dog has had his personal area and rear end rubbing all around. My son’s un-neutered dog Will get right in the middle of the living room when you’re watching TV and dry hump a pillow or stuffed animal with his outstretched unit in Plainview right between the people and the TV, I’m not a dog lover

8. Anonymous on December 24th, 2018 8:16 pm

I’m with you. To me, dogs stink even right after they’ve been bathed. I can’t stand how needy and pesty they are. Always following, underfoot, skulking around and looking for food or attention. And the BARKING. Don’t even get me started. Definitely not for me.

9. Lily on December 24th, 2018 10:42 pm

I love love love dogs, but I 100% respect your opinion.
    If you don’t like dogs, even if I can’t understand that, it’s ok, I would never call you inhuman or evil just because we have different opinions, sorry dog lovers have been rude to you in the past.

10. Trisha on December 29th, 2018 6:00 pm

I agree I’m not a dog or cat person I’m a human person. I don’t care to have these animals in my life. If that’s the case I’ll have more kids which I can raise to walk talk and pee and poop and eat and learn to cook and clean up after themselves. That’s a better deal than a dirty filthy animal that I have to constantly clean after, and feed, it’s constant work with dogs. No thank you!!

11. Thank you on December 30th, 2018 7:54 pm

Ugh, bless you. I am so tired of having to hide the fact that I don’t like dogs. People act like you’re inhuman, yet cat haters have zero problems voicing their disgust or even pretending to have allergies to avoid them.

Dogs are so high maintenance, and maybe you hit the nail on the head with the introvert thing. I despise being followed around and having stinky breath shoved in my face when I get home. I think my misophonia exacerbates the problem…panting, lip smacking, whining, loud crunching and slurping. Makes me ragey just thinking about it, but unfortunately I have to dea with it as my bf has a dog

12. Linda on January 1st, 2019 8:39 pm

Dogs don’t even belong in the wild. They are a broken product created by humans. I hate them with a passion! And no matter what day, time or where I go there is ALWAYS people walking their stupid dogs! Seriously there is no escape from this dog invasion HELL!!!

• I Hate Dogs and I Am Not a Horrible Human Being

Opinions

There Is More Than Enough Citizenship to Go Around

Fordham

Suffering from FOMO? Here’s What You Should Really Fear

Opinions

Bananas Are the Devil’s Fruit

Opinions

Victoria’s Secret, It’s Time to Make a Change

Fordham

Free Speech Belongs on College Campuses

Opinions

What Not to Say During the Holidays

Opinions

Staff Editorial: Rise Above DeVos’s Proposal

Opinions

DeVos’s New Title IX Proposal Is Fair for Everyone

Opinions

What Democrats Can Learn from the Midterms

Fordham

Fordham Hasn’t Learned Its Lesson on Trans Rights