The Observer

I Hate Dogs and I Am Not a Horrible Human Being

Sarah+McLachlan+would+like+a+word.
Back to Article
Back to Article

I Hate Dogs and I Am Not a Horrible Human Being

Sarah McLachlan would like a word.

Sarah McLachlan would like a word.

Ampersand72 VIA FLICKR

Sarah McLachlan would like a word.

Ampersand72 VIA FLICKR

Ampersand72 VIA FLICKR

Sarah McLachlan would like a word.

By TATIANA GALLARDO, Contributing Writer

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.

Email This Story

2018 is almost over, and with it will come the end of the year of the dog. Halle-freakin-lujah. These furry creatures already get enough attention without an official 365-day period of dedication. From the endless Instagram dog accounts to the bulldogs stopping traffic on the streets, they’re everywhere I turn. You will not catch me cooing every time a furry four-legged beast comes my way. Here’s the thing: I hate dogs.

Cue the inevitable cries of shock, disgust, and terror. “How can that be possible?” friends and strangers alike always ask me. “Are you even human?” they’ll ponder after watching me remain indifferent in the presence of a palm-sized pooch.

Supposedly, humanity rests in pet adoration. Those that are decidedly disinterested in four legged-friends are stigmatized outsiders. I’m tired of having to apologize for my opinions or mitigate the intensity of my feelings just to appease the puppy-crazed masses.  No, I do not like dogs, and no, I am not a cold-blooded monster.

My disdain for dogs comes from how I grew up. My family attempted to adopt a Bernese Mountain Dog when I was eight. “Attempted” is the key word. Her name was Romy and she quickly became the family chore as opposed to the family friend. She required time and energy constantly. Quite frankly, we Gallardos are simply not pet people. It’s in our genes.

Instead of adoration, I felt excessive apathy. I didn’t care for Romy at all. Hearing her aggressive howl mid-morning to be taken outside for a walk didn’t exactly motivate me to feel love and affection. Standing outside in the freezing cold every morning with a doggie bag in my hand while awaiting some fresh, warm animal poo didn’t give me a rush of excitement that an owner might feel. Quite frankly, Romy needed way too much attention, which I simply did not have enough to give. I was — and am — in a state of my life in which I would rather interact with real humans than play fetch with furry neighbors at the dog park. Romy required way too much work, and she stripped me of my independence.

After owning her for two years, I realized the undeniable: Most dogs are dirty and smelly. You can literally smell when someone owns a furry creature. Maintenance of their hygiene requires time and money that I do not have. On top of that, dogs never leave you alone. Maybe it’s my inner introvert talking, but I don’t want to come home to a dog sticking its nose in my business and begging for attention. I want peace, quiet and solitude.

The thought of having to care for a creature that can’t even hold a conversation with me is not enticing. It is a colossal waste of my money and energy. This is where I feel like I need to make a promise: I swear I am not a cold-hearted freak. I just have different priorities than dog-lovers do. I think dogs are smelly, unclean, annoying and, ultimately, too much work. I shouldn’t have to apologize for this.

Puppy bait doesn’t work on me. The number of Tinder profiles I’ve come across with the cringe-inducing “That’s my dog” bios referencing dog-owner personality shots has made me realize even more emphatically how rare I am to not be interested in swiping right.

One time on a first date (after listening to 20 minutes of stories about his little Brewster’s obedience class updates), a guy got very serious with me as he whispered, “You just can’t trust a dog hater.” I sipped my drink with a smirk and quipped, “But what if they like doggy style?” He nearly choked. I didn’t see him again.

It’s not just potential romantic prospects that don’t trust someone who doesn’t like dogs. It seems like it’s everyone. Dog disdain is met with stigmatization and shock. A quick Google search on disliking dogs leads to a downward spiral into the inner workings of online forums where people opine with zero restraints under the disguise of an internet persona. One Quora member wrote that finding out someone he knows doesn’t like dogs “is a warning signal that something is wrong with this person, and I would avoid them.”

One of the things that makes humanity so beautiful is the difference in opinions and backgrounds amongst people everywhere. Do we not believe in diversity anymore? Dog haters are the rare group that isn’t encouraged to embrace its “difference.” Instead, the entire collective is deemed appalling.

This is entirely unfair and my indignation cannot be kept quiet. It appears that we live in a society in which our personalities and distastes are warning signs. Not a fan of chocolate? You’re inhuman. Dislike music? You’re insane. Don’t want a pet? Goodbye.

These judgments and denouncements are ridiculous, especially considering we are in an age that champions inclusion and acceptance. Inclusion isn’t applied to us canine condemners. We’re just “not human.” This can’t continue because our personal preferences are exactly that: personal. Everyone has their own likes and dislikes, whether they stem from family traditions, personal experience or simply a developed feeling.

Don’t get me wrong; I get the appeal of dogs. They can be someone’s best friend. They fill an emotional void with genuine unconditional love. As companions, they’re loyal, obedient and kind. They can even help those with a medical impairment. I think that’s amazing and I respect it — from a very far, very necessary distance. This respect now needs to come from both ends. I’ll respect the woof if you respect my opinion.

61 Comments

61 Responses to “I Hate Dogs and I Am Not a Horrible Human Being”

1. Chad on November 9th, 2018 3:12 am

Dogs are the worst.

2. Carmen M Smith on November 9th, 2018 7:52 am

It’s about time someone published an article like this! Not everyone likes canines – some of us suffer from cynophobia, which is one of the top phobias around – and some people just don’t care for animals, period (like my brother). I don’t hate dogs, but I can’t say I am enthralled by them either. I don’t understand the mentality of those who claim that dogs are ‘better’ than people, and I find Dog Worship Culture an extreme circlejerk of hive minds and insanity. Dogs are just animals, and to be honest, are more irritating than endearing.

3. Jane on November 9th, 2018 2:39 pm

I agree 100%. I’m not a dog person. Indeed “dogs are smelly, unclean, annoying”. No thanks.

4. Gumana Attal on November 15th, 2018 2:39 pm

I love love love this. I’m 100% a cat person and don’t feel any kind of connection to this “puppy trend.” Finally, someone is speaking what was on the mind of 78405987643 other people in hiding!!!

Love this!

5. Gumana Attal on November 15th, 2018 2:44 pm

Hey there!
    Let me just say, you finally said what was on 16274728 people’s mind!!! I’m 100% a cat person, but even if I wasn’t, I do not understand the “puppy trend”
    So I can totally relate, you are NOT alone sista!

6. Borislava on November 20th, 2018 3:51 pm

You are not ALONE!

7. John on December 22nd, 2018 1:35 pm

Bingo you nailed it. I had a person I was dating actually say to me dog people are better than regular people, as you might guess she was a dog person. Don’t want to sit on the furniture or lay in a bed where the dog has had his personal area and rear end rubbing all around. My son’s un-neutered dog Will get right in the middle of the living room when you’re watching TV and dry hump a pillow or stuffed animal with his outstretched unit in Plainview right between the people and the TV, I’m not a dog lover

8. Anonymous on December 24th, 2018 8:16 pm

I’m with you. To me, dogs stink even right after they’ve been bathed. I can’t stand how needy and pesty they are. Always following, underfoot, skulking around and looking for food or attention. And the BARKING. Don’t even get me started. Definitely not for me.

9. Lily on December 24th, 2018 10:42 pm

I love love love dogs, but I 100% respect your opinion.
    If you don’t like dogs, even if I can’t understand that, it’s ok, I would never call you inhuman or evil just because we have different opinions, sorry dog lovers have been rude to you in the past.

10. Trisha on December 29th, 2018 6:00 pm

I agree I’m not a dog or cat person I’m a human person. I don’t care to have these animals in my life. If that’s the case I’ll have more kids which I can raise to walk talk and pee and poop and eat and learn to cook and clean up after themselves. That’s a better deal than a dirty filthy animal that I have to constantly clean after, and feed, it’s constant work with dogs. No thank you!!

11. Thank you on December 30th, 2018 7:54 pm

Ugh, bless you. I am so tired of having to hide the fact that I don’t like dogs. People act like you’re inhuman, yet cat haters have zero problems voicing their disgust or even pretending to have allergies to avoid them.

Dogs are so high maintenance, and maybe you hit the nail on the head with the introvert thing. I despise being followed around and having stinky breath shoved in my face when I get home. I think my misophonia exacerbates the problem…panting, lip smacking, whining, loud crunching and slurping. Makes me ragey just thinking about it, but unfortunately I have to dea with it as my bf has a dog

12. Linda on January 1st, 2019 8:39 pm

Dogs don’t even belong in the wild. They are a broken product created by humans. I hate them with a passion! And no matter what day, time or where I go there is ALWAYS people walking their stupid dogs! Seriously there is no escape from this dog invasion HELL!!!

13. Jen on February 5th, 2019 8:58 pm

Yes!!!! I don’t hate them nor do I want them to be mistreated. I just don’t care for them. I don’t want to be licked. I don’t want them in my bed or couch, I think it’s freaking nasty hiw people let them lick thier children. I don’t need the attention from an animal to feel worthy. I actually feel sorry for people who humanize these animals.

14. Jen on February 9th, 2019 6:53 pm

I owned a lab mix & absolutely hated that whining and begging for my food. Not to mention chewing and destroying my things, trying to eat my rabbits & eating rabbit poo.. Jumping on me & resting it’s heavy paws on my legs wanted to be scratched. It was like a large overgrown Rat. I did not hate dogs until I owned this one. Very annoying & needy. I eventually gave her away & got my peace & sanity back.

15. athea marcos amir on February 10th, 2019 11:10 pm

I hate dogs and cats, every last one of them. I would no more touch one than I’d touch a pile of vomit. But you guys who talk about keeping your hatred of dogs a secret, stop it! I let people know I can’t come to their home if they have an animal. Lately I try to stay home as much as possible and I tell people why; I don’t hide it. We’re not the freaks, they are.

16. Roy Fielding on February 11th, 2019 1:15 pm

The big problem with disliking dogs, in modern society, is that it is impossible to avoid them, unlike with cats, who are generally kept at home and will probably run from you if you visit their home. Dogs, because they are social creatures, are literally everywhere. People now take them to stores (even grocery stores), restaurants, church, movie theaters, and even to work. Unless you remain in your home all day and never go out, you will encounter them most days of your life, and you will likely have to interact with them on a frequent basis. And the more social your lifestyle is the more you will have to interact with them. Because of their social nature you are likely just going to have to put up with them barking and growling at you, jumping on you, and licking you even though you don’t own a dog yourself. There are 90 million of them in the US, more than at any time in history, and the US is the number one dog owning country in the world. Moreover, as the writer her describes, there is great intolerance against those of us who don’t like them. I appreciate the dog loving commenter above who actually apologized on behalf of dog owners. I wish for more understanding dog owners like that.

17. K.A.L. on February 15th, 2019 7:56 pm

Here is a GREAT way to shut up these people: I always say to some dummy who says to me people who are not crazy about dogs are not “as good” as dog people (whatever that means) “well hey, what do YOU do for CHILDREN? I mean we have a crisis that more children are aging out of foster care than ever before. More needy, hungry, abused, neglected children. You abuse a dog, it dies, end of story. You abuse a child, we are all in danger when they grow up. Then I launch into everything I’ve done, past or present to try to further humanity’s most vulnerable whether it is donating bone marrow or giving money, etc. Heck even just reading to under-privileged kids after school might help change a life! Then watch these single minded A-Holes stutter and back pedal. So I tell them whatever you do for “animal welfare groups” fine. Just make sure you do as much, or more, for children. Otherwise you are not as good a person as you think you are. In fact, you, are not good, period. Try it, I say it all the time, to strangers even. P.S. You can also remind them in most far eastern countries they eat domestic dog. As Jim Gaffigan says, “I love animals, fun to pet, Better to chew”!

18. Lena on February 20th, 2019 6:39 pm

THANK YOU for writing this! To me, it’s amazing how obsessed people are with dogs. If I had my cat in a tinder profile, talked about her 24/7, took her everywhere, constantly posted pictures of her, PLUS literally ended or threatened to end friendships/relationships over my cat, people would think I’m seriously insane. If you do all of that stuff with a dog, you’re considered completely normal. Our culture is warped. We are all different and we should constantly advocate for individuality.

19. Apg on February 21st, 2019 7:45 am

I’m in agreement with the article. It’s about time.

20. JuJu on February 22nd, 2019 9:00 am

I hate dogs. They constantly require special accommodation, and dog-owner always expect special treatment (warm fazzies) from others because they own the dog. Really!? Dogs are animals and they should be treated that way. I understand service dogs, military dogs, police dogs, – they play important role and being treated appropriately. But when you start referring to your dog as you baby, I can’t trust your judgement. It tells me your perception of reality is skewed and I should wonder what other areas of life your judgement is lucking. Thank you for this article.

21. MJ on February 23rd, 2019 12:28 am

I agree 100%. My marriage nearly ended when my husband came home one day with a “surprise “ for our oldest daughter: a puppy. I nearly packed my bags and left right then and there. This puppy turned into a dog that was aggressive ( not mistreated in our home), who barked and growled constantly, and seemed to enjoy crapping in his kennel despite being walked several times a day. He bit all of our children and was extremely unpredictable ( he was a German shepherd mix). My anxiety was through the roof. My husband knew I didn’t like dogs, yet he made this life changing decision without my input. I finally gave him the ultimatum: it’s me or the dog. He wisely chose to surrender the dog at the local shelter. Dogs are annoying, needy, smelly, and often dangerous. The rampant dog culture in the US is disgusting. These fanatics falsely equate dogs to humans, oftentimes even stating they prefer their smelly canines over human companionship. I prefer a clean house and keeping my children safe!

22. Kent on February 23rd, 2019 1:08 am

Dogs are a plague on our planet. Doesn’t matter where you live you can’t escape them. I live in the country to try to escape the noise but you can still hear dogs barking on any given night (and day). I am an outdoors person and spend a lot of time hiking and cycling the trails of Oregon. No matter where you go all our public recreation areas are becoming littered with these plastic bags of dog crap that are being left behind for our next generation. I even see them hanging from the trees like ornaments because people throw them from the trails and they get stuck in the fir trees here. I have been attacked numerous times while on my bicycle and the owners will never take responsibility for their dogs actions. I don’t hide my hatred for dogs, if you have a dog with you, you are NOT allowed in my house. I wish there was some kind of united opposition against these filthy creatures, I would join in a second and work to rid the planet of these annoying beasts.

23. Jon Anderson on February 25th, 2019 10:12 pm

Love it! So glad to see others feel the same as I do. I feel that people who aren’t completely in love with dogs have to keep their mouth shut and hide their feelings. My biggest problem with dogs are the owners. In my experience, the vast majority of dog owners could care less if their dogs bother anyone else.
    We moved into a really nice new home three years ago. Our nearest neighbor’s house is about 50 feet from us. The lady that lived their owned a very large boxer. After we found out we were really worried. It turns out, this lady was one of the extremely rare good dog owners. She would let the dog out for a few minutes, the dog would take care of business, run a few circles and go back inside. No barking, no property destruction or anything! I thought wow, ok maybe not all dogs are bad!
    We had about one year of quiet no barking when one day to our dismay, a for sale sign was in our neighbors yard. Dammit!!
    One day the new neighbors start moving in, with a large yellow lab in tow. Fast forward two years and our new neighbors have six total dogs. These neighbors epitomize the typical American dog owner. They don’t care what the dogs do as long as they don’t bother them. One dog runs freely through the neighborhood, leaving huge piles of feces in my yard along with even larger craters he decided to dig. They have another dog they literally tie in front of their front door who barks hours on end. Yet another little dog will run over onto my front step and bark at my door!!!
    The weird thing is, their house has a fenced in back yard. Do they put the dogs in the back yard? Hell no! They let the dogs run free while the humans go into the back yard!!
    Long story short, after only three years of living in our new awesome home, we are looking at moving. This time, we will move to a house in the country as far as possible from terrible people and their annoying dogs. I hope someday soon, this infatuation with all things canine will pass.

24. David on February 26th, 2019 4:25 pm

Dogs are bad but dog owners are worse. I tried to go a quiet walk today along the beach but the walk was ruined by horrible little rat like dogs approaching me aggressively and barking which set off my tinnitus. Needless to say I got the usual “Oh they won’t hurt you” from their anti-social owners who must know that their dog off lead will behave like this. Too late, they already had hurt me by triggering my ears. This interruption to my quest for a quiet walk happened not once but twice in the space of five minutes. And this despite my efforts to keep out of their way. Dog owners appear to think they have a God given right to be a nuisance to other people. I think it is important to make your displeasure very clear to the dog owner if you think it is safe to do so. If people do this more often they might just get the message.

Have you noticed to that most dog owners are no longer content with owning one noisy, aggressive hound? Most of them in my part of the world have two or three. Going a walk these days involves trying to avoid the dog packs. What gives owners the right to spoil life for other people? Given how much noise, dirt and aggression dogs cause they should really be taxed just as we tax other pollutants such as motor vehicles. There should be some compensation to society for the menace dog owners cause. Of course there are exceptions. Some owners are responsible and some dogs are quiet and polite. Alas, this is becoming rarer. The smaller dogs seem to be the worse.. Unfortunately the dog lobby is so powerful that it will be difficult to change things or educate idiot owners the way we educated people who drink and drive. Oh, and these stupid twenty foot leads that owners use nowadays mean the beasts are out of control even on a lead. I am so sick of it but it is good to know I’m not alone. Thanks for raising the issue. What we need is an anti-dog society. I’m going to carry some biscuits with me in future as nasty dogs are also greedy and throwing a biscuit in their direction can distract them. Shouldn’t be necessary but it is.

25. Phil Bridges on March 3rd, 2019 12:05 pm

And dogs are also terrific at causing neighbors to fight. Just try telling your pooch-loving neighbor that his dog’s incessant barking is becoming a nuisance. Might as well forget about any future neighborhood barbecues. I tried putting up a sound detector that emits a high-pitched frequency only dogs can hear when it detects barking – in my yard – and they came over and ripped it off my tree. Man’s best friend my keister!

26. Liz Ishma on March 7th, 2019 12:58 am

I couldn’t fucking agree more! I just got in an online fight on a baby website over this exact thing. My question was “How to persuade my husband to put his dog outside”. I have bad allergies and can’t take the medication I use before getting pregnant. It might cause birth defects.
    To my surprise everyone….and I mean Everyone jumped to the dogs defense instead of mine. Said I should take benadryl and that I was insensitive.
    Apparently to dog lovers their animals are more important than ppl. Im truly disgusted with humaity and the way I was treated on there. Like the dog had more right than me and my unborn child.

27. BooBooPants on March 8th, 2019 12:10 pm

Smelly, loud, inconsiderate…. and that’s just the owners! Dogs are useless animals. I hate them and am so glad I’m not alone.

28. Don't like Dogs on March 11th, 2019 3:54 pm

Dogs are animals, period. They’re dirty and carry lots of germs. There’s a reason why they stink

29. Lili on March 15th, 2019 12:50 am

I wanted to scream to the world how much I hated dogs especially living with dogs, my husband adopted no one but two dogs without my opinion. I have never live with any type of animals, till now and believe me is the worst experience I have, they are gross, smelly, disgusting, disrespectful, destructives evil beast, they Cause so much damage, they are useless, every time we leave are home we come back to poop, my house feels dirty. I ratter be in prison partner my English not my first language. My husband said you’re not normal Americans we love are dogs, I tell him that’s a cult to the point his is more attached to those dogs than his kids.

30. Mariana Bell on March 18th, 2019 8:27 am

I like dogs but I do not like physical contact with them (same with birds, fish, the Queen of England). The so called dog-lovers are nothing but. In France (where I live) they call their dogs “their best friends” as if you would normally castrate your friends and drag them around on a piece of rope to defecate and urinate in public places. The dog is a libidinous pack animal, if he does not have a dog bum handy to lick he will lick your face, thence the conclusion that “my dog loves me”. Again, dog-ownership does not give some sort of evidence that you love nature or animals, on the contrary, dogs pollute nature, they do not normally exist in nature, they are produced in horrific puppy farms to satisfy the existential boredom or self-gratification of humans who do not like reading books or like to have control over some living thing or just want a toy or they follow some celebrity. It’s a symptom of decadence, of isolation, of mindless consumerism, emotional poverty, that sort of thing.

31. Craig on March 18th, 2019 9:31 am

Pet (especially dog) Free Pride!
    (I just laugh at the idea of a parade.)

32. Joshua on March 22nd, 2019 9:13 am

I’m so glad more people are starting to raise their brow at this toxic mutt worshipping trend that seems to have just exploded out of nowhere. :/

(This rant of mine isn’t aimed at responsible and actually likeable dog owners. I’m just really fed up with all of these bad dogs and their bad owners!)

I. Do. Not. Like. Dogs…. Reason is, 90% of dogs you have running around nowadays have the manners of a repulsive, uncivilized, untamed goblin! And the same damn thing can, unfortunately, be said about a lot of their equally as uncivilized owners.. Oh, and did I mention that most dogs are unclean, greasy, and stinky? A lot of them seem to have that dirty pooch smell, even AFTER being bathed! Ew. I guess dog perfume could MAYBE help with that???

I don’t care if people like them, I don’t care if people have them, just as long as they don’t develop a creepy insane obsession with them and try to force me into liking their freaking dog. You like your dog? Cool, but I don’t… so PLEASE respect that and keep it AWAY from me!

My nasty jabs are really mainly being directed at snobby untrained dogs and their irresponsible dog owners that just refuse to see the problem and want to continue acting like inconsiderate pricks. (If you’re one of these unlikeable dog owners and you’re on here to whine about or make fun of us for not liking dogs, F you, you’re part of the problem.. and so is your dang dog! I really suggest that you keep your repulsive furry four legged pet cockroach the F away from me and everyone else!)

Sorry for the long comment! Sure did feel great to get all of this off of my chest. 🙂

NOTE: I do not wish to harm dogs (unless provoked, obviously), I just want them all to respectfully stay the HELL away from me!

33. BK on March 22nd, 2019 9:14 am

I’m a dog owner and I agree 100% with everything you said. When I meet someone who feels the way you do about dogs, I don’t questions their moral fiber or any of that nonsense. I accept them for who they are and keep it moving. I look at my dog for what he is: an animal, a pet. He’s not my furbaby, my furkid, or any of that nonsense. I’ve been attacked by other dog people because of the following: feeding him dog food instead of cooking for him, not letting him sleep in my bed, putting him away when we have guests, not trying to take him every single place I go, etc. I also have no issue with people who have to rehome a dog because of certain circumstances, whereas dog people will call you the spawn of Satan for doing this. Don’t ever be ashamed to make your feelings known. This dog owner will always respect them.

34. M-A on March 26th, 2019 11:59 am

I couldn’t agree more! People look at me funny when I say I don’t like dogs. I’m ok with seeing other people’s dogs for short periods of time but they always end up annoying me. They smell bad, they slobber, they’re always right in your face looking for attention and they beg for food constantly (the worst part). If I wanted a creature that needy in my home, I’d have another child; at least there’s more of an upside and they will almost certainly outlive me!

I’m happy for people who love their dog – more power to them – but I don’t have to love it. Don’t let it lick the table we’re eating at, don’t let it snatch food out of my hand and don’t let it jump on me! And yes, I can love my friends without loving their dog. So keep your “love me, love my dog” comments to yourself.

I’m not selfish or Satanic either. I have four grown children and raised them with much love and care. I just don’t like dogs. I’m a cat lover 🙂

35. athea marcos amir on March 26th, 2019 4:28 pm

It’s good to know the entire population has not succumbed to dog worship, but my ongoing concern is why thus far no mental health professional has explained to my satisfaction the attraction people have for dogs, or any animal, which to me seems totally counterintuitive.

36. Matthew on March 27th, 2019 10:39 pm

Im not even gona bother reading your trash, anyone who hates dogs is a horrible human being.

37. Tammy Michelle on March 28th, 2019 12:06 am

Loved this article and all the comments. Agree 100% and glad I’m not alone.

I grew up with a dog and always considered myself a “dog person”. But since my sister-in-law got a dog our life has changed for the worse. She’s single in her 40s and the dog has become the center of the universe. She cannot do anything without the dog and she plans every outing around the dog. I’m sure she’s lost friendships over it. She actually left two good jobs because they didn’t want the dog to come with her to work. Whenever we go to my husband’s parents’ home for any occasion, and she’s there with the dog, the conversation constantly revolves around the dog, which is annoying enough, but the worst is when we sit down for a meal and the damn dog is circling the table drooling, panting, shedding, and smelling (a golden lab). We move to the living room and the dog is still there drooling, panting, shedding, and smelling. My in-laws do nothing to curb this behavior, instead they encourage it – feeding the dog from the table and fawning all over it. They also feed the dog with it licking their hands and then prepare leftovers for us to take home – where we promptly toss them in the trash. It’s to the point where we barely visit anymore. I could go on with more examples. If we dared to say anything or complain about this we’d likely not have a relationship with them anymore. I’ve tried to ignore it, live with it, put up with it, but the dog has become more important to the three them than anything else, including us. Honestly, I think they’ve lost their minds – and I did not see this coming
    – we used to have a good relationship. Obsessive dog culture indeed!

38. Cleia on March 29th, 2019 7:21 pm

I used to think that I really, reeeally liked dogs, that was right before living with one. You see, at the begining, when me and my bf adopted her from the streets, I liked her a lot. I liked to take walks with her, to pet her all the time, to have her laying on my lap, and so on, but that started to change when I realized she stopped obeying me for (probably) seeing me as submissive to her, because I used to act and talk to her very gently. She just stopped coming when I’d call her (and she would obbey and follow my bf around all the time), she stopped obbeying me, and seemed to be challenging me. It was partially our fault, we were knew at having a dog and we spoiled that creature away too much. When we’d kiss, she would jump between us trying to separate us, she started peeing everywhere to mark her territory (even shoes and clothes), we couldn’t have a freaking carpet (once she got inside our bedroom and was alone for less than 30 seconds and peed on our carpet)…Anyway, that fucking beast was a nightmare, I had many fights over her with my boyfriend, 2 months after that thing started to live with us I was already tired, but he wanted to have her because he loved her. So, 1 year and 6 months later I still have to live with that thing which I hate (I never thought I could hate anyone SO much, mainly an animal!). Now even my boyfriend is tired of having her cause she demands too much attention and patience, so it’s been over 5 months trying to find that dog a home and nothing yet! Now we have cats (cause I love cats, a lot and for real) and that disgusting dog loves eating cat’s poop, so we have to do all the sort of thing in our home to keep her from eating it, and she stinks even more!

39. Corina on March 29th, 2019 7:39 pm

I just think it’s SO absurd that in our world it’s okay to hate cats, you’re not target as a soulless beast, or a terrible human being if you hate cats, but if you just don’t like dogs you are automatically a monster! Cats don’t bark in the middle of the night waking up half of the neighborhood they rarely meow loudly, but when they do, it’s not cause your simply passing by the street they live), cats don’t just run and attack people for nothing, they don’t mark territory all over the place, they are not needy creatures who can’t stand not being the center of the whole world’s attention. Cats don’t eat poop and they are mostly very careful about where they poop and pee. And also, if someone doesn’t like or want to have physical contact with a cat, they just softly push the cat away and 99% of them will respect your space, unlike many dogs who will keep on throwing their awkward hard boddies at you after a million attempts to push them away.
    Many humans love dogs because dogs seem to worship humans and because our kind is very needy as well, meanwhile cats are independent, they won’t submit to every order you give just because you want to feel dominant and they enjoy having their space and timing, unlike some dogs who do anything for any attention.
    Dog lovers, sorry not sorry.

40. Bruce on March 30th, 2019 3:47 am

All meaningful comments and yes none should have to ever feel lessened by not loving or liking dogs. My wife and I have two dogs…originally her animals and she and I have had to both make compromises… because I like dogs…but do not have an infactuation with animals. I simply tell my doggie loving/worshipping wife to accept the fact that I treat them as pets and training is required. No licking my face as I watch one of them gobble poop like it’s candy (it’s just disgusting) on walks and no sleeping on our bed as I get a place of my own as well. But as my wife doesn’t like a lot of outdoor activity… at least I’ve a new buddy that is game for adventure. Have no doubt… dog ownership reduces many aspects in life…and adds a bit more flavour as well.

It’s true many pet owners themselves need to be trained with better behaviours as it us their lack of courtesy and responsible animal husbandry that creates the problems so many previous posts have pointed out. My wife and I pick up those poop bags others leave… as well as the garbage of many others deposited without care on the trail sides. It’s our planet…let us please take care of it. Or as I say to conservatives… It’s my planet…so get the [email protected]@k off of it….lol

41. Zoh on April 2nd, 2019 6:15 pm

Thank you !! At least I’m not the only one who thinks that dogs are disgusting creature…please don’t get me wrong I would never harm or let anyone harm an animal or mistreated…but I just don’t get it why people have decided to let go of important issues such as children who are in need of help but to be at the pinnacle of humanity WE MUST LOVE DOG” and trust me there are idiots out there who think that feeding vegan diet to dog is better for the animals. Not to mention the smell, filthy food habits, constantly asking for attention a dog is just a liability…and I simply hate them…I know hate is a strong word but I truly hate dogs with a passion.

42. Roxy on April 7th, 2019 6:05 pm

I’m not a dog or a pet person. But I never said it out loud until recently when people kept coming over to my house with their dogs and/or asked me to keep their dog for a week or two. The thing with the dog people is if you don’t SPECIFICALLY SAY THAT YOU DON’T LIKE DOGS they will keep coming and bringing their dogs with them and take advantage of you by being a dog sitter!!! HEEEEECK NO! No more of that I had to start specifically saying I hate dogs just so they will leave me alone! I have a very high sense of smell and I just can’t even… thank you for this article!

43. Just a Normal Person on April 7th, 2019 11:06 pm

I just want to say that you seem to be the type of person that cries “I’m a minority!” because you hate dogs. Let me tell you, you are not a minority because you hate dogs, you are just cold and undeserving of the love that a dog can give you. A dog’s love is the purest thing on this planet and if you can not understand that, I am so sorry for you. You don’t have to love dogs, there are cat or lizard people – we get it. What I don’t get is you not appreciating the kindness and unadulterated happiness a dog can bring into someone’s life. They are not just a liability, they are love and happiness to someone on the darkest of days. Stop trying to be unique with your unempathetic feelings towards these fur bodies of amazement. While maybe they aren’t your best friend, they are called man’s best friend for a reason.

44. Bri on April 11th, 2019 12:18 pm

Thank you for this great article. Finally someone who agrees with me. I also enjoyed reading all these comments. Dogs are smelly, needy, and disgusting and I couldn’t agree more. On top of that, all dog people I know are rude and inconsiderate. They just can’t accept the fact that we don’t like their nasty creatures all up in our face and chewing our legs off. Ugh. I can’t even go out on walks anymore since they are EVERYWHERE. Our neighbors have 2-3 dogs each and they all bark all day for no reason. Can’t even have peace in my own house.
    We have 2 cats and they are clean and wonderful. My husband was a dog lover and he hated cats. You should see him now. He loves them and asked why we didn’t get them sooner. They greet us at the door and comfort me any time I am down. Dog people think cats are heartless but they are the ones who are cold.
    I was attacked just last week for the 100th time by a big nasty dog at my mother in laws house. It wanted to kill me and I got to the point of just shivering and crying in front of everyone. The owner didn’t even care and now anytime they see me, they refer to that night and make fun of me. Disgusting, heartless people.
    Can’t wait until the day these big, nasty rats leave this planet.

45. Pennt on April 12th, 2019 2:34 am

YES!! Thank you for this. Canine haters unite!!

46. Marc on April 16th, 2019 10:58 am

Canine aggression is my beef against dogs. I spend a lot of time walking and hiking, and I’m attacked by off-leash dogs about 3 or 4 times a year (on average). Last year, a dog came at me while I was getting the mail! It’s outrageous how society accepts this as the norm. When a wild animal attacks, people are up in arms about it. When a dog attacks, it’s ho-hum. Wild animals generally avoid people. Dogs, on the other hand, target people. I would say that over 50% of dogs have aggression issues. I always carry a walking stick with me for defense, and I’m not afraid to use it.

47. Fuck Dogs on April 18th, 2019 10:38 am

The stench of dog is what kills it for me most. I had one of these greasy, nasty furballs in my car last year and I swear I can still smell the nasty friggin’ stench of dog whenever I turn on the AC on a hot day.

I also just hate their characters. The needy, attention seeking stuff. Barking angers me like nothing else. The drooling and dog hair everywhere, it’s so gross. When they come at you and stare you in the eyes with their dumb void gaze most people see the cutest thing alive. I see another motherfucker who should fish for attention somewhere else. Worst thing is if you don’t respond they will come and claim it by jumping to you and licking you in the face – the grossest action of them all. Goddamnit I feel so filthy when that happens. It makes me want to shower.

I hate petting them because the gross fur makes my hands feel all gunky and filthy. I can’t pet a dog without immediately washing my hands afterwards. They feel too gross to touch anything else. I especially hate this during dinner when friends are over (who of course always bring their fucking dog because hey that’s entirely normal! You’re crazy if you don’t like it!), halfway through my plate the furfucker comes at me and looks at me with sad eyes begging for my friggin’ food. Instantly triggers me, but next thing I hear is “awww she looks so cute but she can’t have a bite – at least give her a nice pat on the head!” If I don’t, I’ll be met with the worst judging gazes on Earth and won’t be hearing the end of it anytime soon. So I do it. And feel fucking disgusted finishing my plate with my gunky gross hands. Which I don’t wash because leaving the table mid-dinner to do so only because of a pat on the head will be met with, guess what, judging gazes.

Which brings me to another point I hate about dogs: their uppity, entitled piece of shit owners. Goddamnit!!! You have to like their stupid stinking beast or you’re insane. Like the one muppet above already proclaims. Yeah, the way you’ll be treated if you hate dogs is just the icing on the cake.

FUCK DOGS!!!

48. Pineapple62 on April 19th, 2019 11:33 pm

I hate dogs. I don’t hide it. I’ve been bit and knocked down too many times to count as a kid from irresponsible neighbors. So, when the in-laws first talked about adopting a beagle I said, “I no longer will be comfortable in your home. We won’t be visiting much if you do.” She thought I was lying. Well, now we go up ONCE a year. And when we do, the stench and air quality is repulsive. She basically picked a dog over us. So, live with your decision! Ha

49. Anna on April 23rd, 2019 12:28 am

I agree! I have always disliked dogs and now I foolishly married a man who likes them and whose children love them. Of course none of them really care for the stinky needy annoying creature. I love my cat precisely because he is smart independent and sassy. The dog is anything but those things. Just dumb needy and mopey. Oh yeah. And she destroys things. I hate her and would NEVER recommend to anyone to get a dog.

50. Giang on April 23rd, 2019 12:59 am

Me too! They bite stuff, all they want is food. Shhhh. Smelly and annoying. Stupid!

51. sarfi on April 30th, 2019 5:44 pm

I can’t stand dogs or most dog owners. Dogs are dirty and they pee on every available surface. Dogs smell like shit and insinuate themselves on you..I wish they would all die. I wish moronic humans had never domesticated the worthless pieces of shit to begin with.
    I carry a cattle prod, when walking , biking or gardening..I won’t hesitate to use it either, in fact, i’m looking for ward to it. I’d prefer to use it directly on the dog owner( they deserve it more than the dumb dog), but I’ll take what i can get.

52. Frankie on April 30th, 2019 8:53 pm

Thank you for bringing this out in the open. For some reason, it’s considered perfectly normal to hate cats, but if you dare to say you hate dogs, suddenly your humanity comes into question. What?! I love cats, particularly, but have had rabbits and chickens (I’m a country girl), and have felt deep bonds with all of them. I currently have two kitty “daughters” and I’d do anything for them. The love they give is unconditional. But I had to EARN that love. It wasn’t given out of some stupid idea of obedience. That makes a cat’s love deeper. Plus, you don’t see them EVERYWHERE (literally) in public, they don’t naturally stink, they aren’t ALWAYS up in your face, they don’t attack other people, there will never be a cat version of Cujo, etc. I say it loud and proud: I HATE DOGS.

53. Mike shuetem on May 2nd, 2019 4:16 pm

Only thing I hate more than dogs are the simple minded bafoons that own them. They usually have the same I.Q. As their “children”.

54. sfsfsd on May 2nd, 2019 5:27 pm

U are a BAD person. At least you didnt beat your dog with a basball bat

55. Tim soloviov on May 3rd, 2019 2:43 pm

You’re not alone; it’s disturbing how depressed and lonely dog owners are. If you’re not lonely and sad as a dog owner, then explain why you’re willing to give up all of your freedom, all of your peace, and a truck load of money just to have a worm carrying, nasty ball sniffing, food stealing, begging, farting, pooping indoors, killing grass with its potent urine, disease carrying, biting, needy, not entertaining, time consuming, distraction? Unless you were desperate for attention and and need a void to be filled. Why own dogs? I get it if you participate in the Iditarod, or you live out in the boonies in alaska and the beast lives outdoors 100% and is there to eat your left over scraps and deter you when there is a threat from other wildlife, but to own a dog indoors is just the stupidest thing I have ever observed. The funny thing is While I was reading the page I looked out the window and saw someone walking their dog and needed to cross the street, the dog was a corgi, yuk! And so he bends down to pick the useless thing up and when it came to his chest level the dumb thing was upside down and this dude carried the dog across the road. Screw that! Such a waste of energy. Evil thoughts came across my head hoping someone wouldn’t see them and cream them! Here’s another thing, I read the comment about the guy from Oregon. It’s true.. people do throw their dog shit in the bag all over the place. What’s wrong with you sick animals? Then I thought about it, these puppy worshipping dog butthole sniffing excuses for people probably have a worm from the dog that travels to their brains and takes the cockpit piloting your flesh. Epidemic!!

56. tickyul on May 4th, 2019 12:32 am

The bizarre and disturbing idolization and worship of smelly Poopgobblers in the USA just makes me shake my head in
    disgust.

How on earth does such a smelly, reeking, dumb, often dangerous animal reach such lofty heights in so
    many Americans minds………………….beyond pathetic.

57. tf on May 5th, 2019 3:32 am

i hate dog-haters and I’m not a horrible human being
    perhaps cats are publicly hated because they aren’t social beings and they don’t want the affection that dogs do? they aren’t human companions? they’re practically just pieces of art that you have to feed and clean (i love how they pee and poop in your house). i mean, why waste time and money cleaning and feeding an animal when it adds nothing to your life? that renders a pretty meaningless relationship to me. sure, i respect that you HATE dogs… but you don’t have to bash all dog lovers. as you’re naturally not empathetic, you will NEVER understand what it’s like to be a dog person (clearly, same with the people in the comments, because a light switch doesn’t just randomly go off like that). i feel bad for you and i hope you get some type of life-changing love at some point before you die. it hurts my heart that you have so much hatred for such a loving species and im just so bewildered as to why you would hate those creatures. clearly as a kid you didn’t understand the neglect and abuse that shelter/rescue dogs face. cats don’t face the horrible abuse that shelter dogs do. the dog you adopted as a child most likely came out of an awful environment, and it’s just terrible that you didn’t have the capacity to comprehend that. all dogs want is a little love. how can you call yourself a human being if you’re not able to show compassion and empathy? to me, that’s simply counterintuitive.

58. Snoop Dogg on May 6th, 2019 5:14 am

Fuck dogs, just my two cents.

59. TL on May 6th, 2019 12:07 pm

Thank you for this article. It had to take a lot of thought and bravery to write it. I basically have the same sentiment. I used to be indifferent to dogs but it steadily grew to a dislike. Then the more I was around a hardcore dog lover I slid further down the hill. The pedestal That dogs have been placed on confuses me. I honestly feel that it is more of a crime to dislike a dog than it is to harm a child. I have only told close friends that I can’t stand dogs. My boyfriend and I had a bog fight that we almost called it quits. During the argument I added that I don’t like dogs and pointed out that maybe he should be with a ‘dog child’ mother. It’s just not in me. He swears it doesn’t matter to him but I can’t help but feel that it matters a hell of lot more than stated. I have read article after article asked therapists about it. The articles all say I am a horrible person and shouldn’t be trusted. That dog children should be put above everything in life. I have grown up with cats. I have had past relationships that the boyfriend didnt like cats. As long as he didnt beat on my cat or caused some harm to the cat, I understood. As long as it wasnt going to harm the cat, plans were made fpr me and my boyfriend. Thats how I felt it should be. But that is not a shared feeling. I understand that dogs give a lot of people a missing piece in their lives. From just having a close friend since childhood, an escape from an abusive home, a distraction from illness or pain. But i feel any animal can do that and even other humans. So why are dogs the new entity among people now? And why do people say you can’t have children if you don’t like dogs? I was reading this and people were saying you wont be able to connect with your children of you can’t connect with a dog. Is that not too far?

60. KK on May 8th, 2019 12:13 am

Ugh I completely agree with all of it!! Mu husband decided to get us a chihuahua…an ankle biting, yapping chihuahua out of all dogs! And I’m not a pet person at all so it’s been very difficult living with this thing. Soooo much work and money. And the sad part is that when I brought up the possibility of having a baby, he said they were too much work and money -_- This is why I don’t understand the obsession with dogs!! There are so many kids that need adopting and people would rather spend their time and money on an animal then a human being. No wonder the world is so messed up!! The constant food hunting/stealing/ the lip smacking, the licking, always following us around, I can’t even get close to my husband without her getting in the middle of us. This dog is only 1 yrs old so we still have at least 13 to 15 years with her so I don’t know what I’m going to do…*tears* Maybe hypnosis before I go out of my damn mind.

61. Joanne Frame on May 8th, 2019 4:48 am

I find this article very interesting. I would love to explore this subject more closely. I have dogs in my life. I don’t say I love them, and they do present me with obligations that I wouldn’t have to do otherwise. Like having children, or a partner does. But I use them in my own personal development of self-awareness.
    I provide a unique counselling service for dog owners, called Anubis Therapy, because the problems we have with our dogs usually reflects emotional blocks in ourselves. I agree, it’s pretty surprising, the vitriol that can arise when someone says they don’t like dogs. And it’s really interesting to see the counterbalance, of ‘I hate dogs and I’m not a bad person’.
    Dogs are social by nature. They have evolved to connect with us emotionally (whether you have them in you life or hate them in your life). They actually mirror the emotional energy in people. Which is why we get the behaviours that we like and don’t like like. So it has me wondering, what is going on in a society where a growing number of people want dogs in their lives? What does that bring up for people who don’t like dogs? I’d love to hear people’s thoughts. I have a blog on https://www.houndsconnect.co.uk if you want to find out more

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.