USG Announces Newest Members

By CHRISTINA FRASCA

Published: October 8, 2009

Fordham College at Lincoln Center (FCLC) held its United Student Government (USG) elections during the last week of September, electing freshman senators Kimberly Kraft and Shanu Bajaj, junior senator Shumona Shimi, and senior senators Katy Corum and Bobby Driscoll.

“We [had] more candidates this year than usual,” said current USG President, Ryan Murphy.  Fall elections are usually limited to just the Freshmen Senators. However, due to the lack of turnout last spring, there were more positions available.

Ryan Murphy said that USG has many goals for the 2009-2010 school year, including making Fordham more “green” and improving internet access in the school. The newest members of USG also said they have big plans for this coming year.

“I would like to get some original programming going on our FCLC TV station,” Kraft said. Shanu Bajaj said that “the Fordham community needs to leave the hallways of Lowenstein and the residence halls.”

In regards to improvements to the school, hot topics within the FCLC community were the new limited Quinn Library hours and the Lowenstein Café.  USG members agreed that the library hours were not something to be taken lightly.

“This is an area I take very personally,” Driscoll said. “However, we, in fact, have more available library time than students at Rose Hill. We are not limited to one library- students are also able to use the Law School library.”

In regards to the cafeteria, members said they feel there is definitely room for improvement, specifically a wider selection on the menu. Kraft also said that she plans to push for longer cafeteria hours on the weekends.

“Students should feel free to approach their class senators with any concerns,” said Corum. Sentators said that they strongly urge students to offer any suggestions to improve FCLC at their meetings on Thursdays from 1:00-2:30pm in Room 310 of Lowenstein.

Kraft asked, “If we’re not going to vocalize the problems students are having on campus and work towards fixing them, who will?”