Fordham Launches New Consortium

By WILLIAM BIRGÉ

Published: October 8, 2009

Fordham launched its Consortium on Social Justice and Poverty on Sept. 22 in an event held in the Lowenstein building, at which several panelists spoke to students, faculty and administrators in attendance. The event discussed the effects of the recent global economic slowdown on the world’s poorest nations.

The consortium is an ongoing collaboration of a number of departments and clubs within the Fordham community that, according to the consortium’s Web site, will “promote interdisciplinary scholarship and service opportunities within Fordham University.”

“This is a way for our faculty, staff, students and administrators to find out about the work that is being done, find each other and even work together” said Stephen Freedman, the senior vice president of academic affairs and the chief academic officer at Fordham University.

“I know the importance of academic rigor and academic integrity as being the key central component of Jesuit education,” he said, “but in my talks with students, faculty and staff this year and last, I stressed the social justice component.”

Ronald Mendoza, a U.N. economist and panelist at the discussion, explained how children in affected areas suffer the most from the economic slowdown and the subsequent lack of humanitarian aid.

According to Mendoza, these children did not feel the global economic boom of the last five years. However, they did feel the May 2008 skyrocket in corn and rice prices, which drove the cost up “30 percent above the 10-year average,” he said.

As a result of less global aid, he said, children are pulled from school to work. “This will affect households’ prospects to get out of poverty. If that’s not social injustice, I don’t know what is,” he said.

As its first initiative, the consortium will address child poverty on a local front, by mentoring adolescents in foster care who will soon be emancipated to independent living.

In partnership with the consortium, Good Shepherd Services will screen and train volunteers at their facility near Fordham’s Rose Hill campus over six sessions.

“The breadth and depth of these programs is extraordinary,” said Catherine Buescher, coordinator for academic projects and processes in the office of the senior vice president of academic affairs and the chief academic officer. “This will need to grow through participation.”