USG Discusses Goals for Upcoming Year

By RAY WALSH

Published: September 24, 2009

On Sept. 17, the United Student Government (USG) of Fordham College at Lincoln Center (FCLC) held its second general meeting of the year, where members discussed plans for a new Web site, upcoming events, issues with facilities, changes in USG operations and an amendment to the Student Activities Budget Committee (SABC) statement.

USG discussed club day—an event for clubs to get exposure and attract members—a club networking dinner and a scavenger hunt. In addition to these events, USG discussed the President’s Ball, which will take place on Oct. 2 at 9 p.m. Ryan Murphy, FCLC ’11, president of USG, urged students to attend, noting that transportation will be provided from FCLC.

Members of USG also reviewed the procedures for elections, which will take place on Sept. 24, 25 and 28. USG is also making preparations to vote on 12 prospective clubs.

Addressing concerns of commuting freshmen who have had difficulty entering McMahon Hall from the first floor, Ryan Murphy said that such students should talk to Jenifer Campbell, director of residential life, in the residential life office.

Robert Whitbeck, FCLC ’10, announced that SABC has passed a club co-sponsorship reform bill that will be amended to the SABC guidelines in March. According to Whitbeck, this bill will create an incentive for clubs to co-sponsor events by giving clubs extra funds to organize the event. Whitbeck said that SABC meets every other Tuesday in Lowenstein room 910. Any clubs wishing to appeal for more money can drop their appeals in the SABC mailbox by 2:30 p.m. of the Tuesday before the meeting.

Murphy also talked about the importance of USG creating a new Web site, and said that the site will include senator blogs, statements from the USG president and minutes from USG meetings.

“It’s a work in progress, but it’s going to have everything that’s going on. We’re trying to be more transparent,” he said.

The discussion also covered complaints about facilities, namely cutbacks in operating hours for the library and the language lab. Brandi D’Esposito, FCLC ’11 and vice president of the USG student affairs committee, said that these issues will be added to the efforts of the  committee, along with a recycling initiative urging the Walsh Library to recycle more paper.

USG members voiced the importance of student attendance at the meetings as general members. “The administration doesn’t know we have a problem if nobody says anything,” Murphy said.

“General members keep the committees going,” said Mathew Rodriguez, FCLC ’11 and USG secretary. “They really are amazing.”