Student Assaulted, Robbed Near Rose Hill Campus

ARIELLA MASTROIANNI/THE OBSERVER

President Donald Trump is a former undergraduate student of Fordham College at Rose Hill. According to Special Advisor Michael Cohen, “Mr. Trump truly enjoyed his two years at Fordham and has great respect for the University.”

By SOPHIE KOZUB

A male Fordham student was assaulted and robbed near the Rose Hill campus at 3:45 a.m. on Oct. 23.

The student was standing alone on the northeast corner of Hoffman Street and East 189th Street, across from the Blue Goose Bar, when he was approached by a group of males, according to Fordham Public Safety.

“Without warning, one of the males struck the student on the side of head with his fist, knocking him to the ground,” Fordham Public Safety said in an alert sent to members of the Fordham community at 8:34 a.m. on Oct. 23.  According to the alert, the assailant took the student’s iPhone and wallet containing $60 and fled eastbound on East 189th Street towards Arthur Avenue.

Following the incident, the student was taken to St. Barnabas Hospital as a precaution and could not provide a description of his assailant, according to the alert. Public Safety supervisors and NYPD officers canvassed the area and found the student’s iPhone nearby.

This incident was preceded by another robbery that occurred less than 24 hours earlier on Belmont Avenue at approximately 1 p.m. on Oct. 22.

A student and an alumnus were walking northbound on Belmont near East Fordham Road when they were approached by a man, who was walking in the opposite direction, according to Fordham Public Safety. The man asked the student and the alumnus for the time and indicated he had a gun. He then took the alumnus’s iPhone and $40 and proceeded south on Belmont.

The victims described the suspect as being “5’11” tall, medium build, light skinned, wearing a black ski hat and an olive colored sweat jacket,” according to Fordham Public Safety.

The two men returned to the Rose Hill campus and reported the incident to Public Safety at approximately 2:30, after which the NYPD was notified. The NYPD then took the two men to the 48th precinct, where detectives took their complaint, according to Fordham Public Safety.

Fordham Public Safety requested in both of the alerts emailed to members of the Fordham community regarding the incidents that anyone with information “should contact the 48th Precinct detective squad at (718) 288-4119, or Fordham University Public Safety, at (718) 817-2222, and ask to speak with a duty supervisor.”

Other incidents involving Fordham students have occurred on Hoffman Street and 189th Street in the past year.

On March 9, a male Fordham student was robbed at approximately 2:30 a.m. by three males on Hoffman Street between East 189th Street and East Fordham Road. The suspects demanded the student’s wallet and fled on foot after the student complied, leaving him uninjured, according to the public safety alert sent at the time.

On April 23 at 1:30 a.m., a female Fordham student was robbed on Hoffman Street when a man grabbed her phone from under her right arm and fled south toward East 189th Street, according to the public safety alert sent at the time.

Developing…