Attempted Robbery Occurs Near Lincoln Center Campus

(CONNOR MANNION/ OBSERVER ARCHIVES)

By SOPHIE KOZUB

Two Fordham students were the victims of an attempted robbery on 60th Street between Amsterdam and West End Avenues near the Lincoln Center campus, according to a Public Safety Alert sent to the Fordham community at 8:01 a.m. on Sept. 5.

The attempted robbery of the two male students occurred at 12:30 a.m. on Sept. 5, according to the alert sent by John Carroll, Associate Vice President of Public Safety. The two male students were “approached by two males: the first was 6 feet tall, slim build, approximately 18 years old, wearing a white American flag shirt and black shorts; the second was 5 feet 10 inches tall, slim build, approximately 17 years old, wearing a yellow shirt and jean shorts.”

The first assailant demanded the students’ property after displaying a yellow X-Acto knife, but neither of the students were injured and did not turn over any property, according to the alert. The email continued that the New York Police Department (NYPD) canvassed the area after the incident without results.

Those with information about the attempted robbery can contact the 20th Precinct Detective Squad at (212) 580-6414 or Public Safety at (212) 636-6076 and ask to speak with the Duty Supervisor, according to the email.

The attempted robbery is the first one by the Lincoln Center campus that Public Safety has alerted members of the Fordham community of this year and the second robbery incident they have issued an alert for in the past month. The prior incident occurred by the Rose Hill campus on Aug. 21 when an 81-year-old woman who was not a member of the Fordham community was robbed near 2456 Arthur Avenue, according to the Public Safety Alert issued at the time.

The incident is also the first of its kind to involve Fordham students by the Lincoln Center campus since Sept. 3, 2015. A female Fordham student reported that she was robbed by knifepoint between 8 and 8:30 p.m on West 62nd Street at the time. She was uninjured, but her assailant took the Metrocard she was holding in her hand, according to the Public Safety Alert issued regarding the incident.