Fordham Breaks Fundraising Record

Capital Campaign Raises $72 Million, Despite Struggling Economy

By RAY WALSH

Published: August 27, 2009

While the economy faltered this past fiscal year, Fordham managed to raise $71.9 million—a 6.5 percent increase from 2008—breaking its record for the fifth consecutive year, for a total of $277.9 million towards the $500 million goal of the Campaign for Fordham.   Of this $71.9 million, $50.1 million was pledged, and $32.6 million was donated as either gifts or pledge payments.

According to the campaign Web site, the objective of the campaign is to “bring Fordham into a new era of preeminence by 2016,” by putting money towards academic excellence, facilities, and annual support.

The campaign Web site states that $250 million will be raised for academic excellence. Eighty million dollars will go to an endowment for department chairs, $70 million will be placed in an endowment for academic scholarships, and $100 will be used to support Fordham academics.  One Hundred and Seventy million dollars will go towards facilities—$75 milion for a new law school, $30 million for a new campus center at Rose Hill, $20 million for a new recreation center at Rose Hill, and $40 million for new residential halls at both campuses, according to the campaign web site. The remaining $80 million will be used for annual support, according to the campaign Web site.

In addition to new facilities, FCLC will receive money from the campaign toward artistic merit scholarships and an endowment for students who wish to study abroad, according to Rev. Robert R. Grimes, S.J., dean of FCLC.

Keith Eldredge, dean of students at FCLC, said that he hopes that money from the campaign will enable more funds for Residential Assistants (RAs), campus activities and clubs.

Although Fordham still has to raise about $223 million, the campaign has already had positive effects at FCLC. The Veronica Lally Kehoe Studio was made possible by a donation under the campaign made by John P. Kehoe.  Endowments donated toward the campaign have allowed for more FCLC students to get financial aid, according to Dr. Brian J. Byrne, vice president of Fordham.

“There are a lot of students that have financial aid that didn’t have it before,” he said.

At the Rose Hill Campus,  donations under the Campaign have funded the construction of two new dormitories.

According to Byrne, money from the campaign will fund the first stage of construction under the Master Plan—a plan to increase dorm space and build a new Law sSchool at FCLC—in late 2010.

Much of this money has been raised through the efforts of Rev. Joseph M. McShane, S.J., president of Fordham.

Eldredge offered an explanation for McShane’s success.  “He passionately believes in the message he delivers…It’s not just a sales pitch,” Eldredge said.