There Can Be More to the Plaza Grass Than First Meets the Eye

By ALEX GAETE

Published: April 9, 2009

So you’ve been noticing some flip-flops being worn around campus, and soon enough you’ll be spotting bikini-clad ladies sprawled out on their towels. This can only mean one thing—spring has arrived. Does the term “field day” conjure up any images of silly three-legged races back in your grammar school days? What about water balloon fights and Super Soakers?  Perhaps a delicious turkey leg served by a court jester brings a smile to your face. If so, welcome to The Observer’s list of innovative ways to utilize the Lowenstein Plaza.

When you think of a field day, memories of a day out of the classroom (woo hoo!) spent on the playground are the first things that comes to mind. Just because we’re not in the fifth grade anymore doesn’t necessarily mean we can’t act like fifth graders. We can reinstate our favorite childhood activities such as relay races and eating grilled hot dogs out on the lawn. Grab a friend, tie your legs together and try your best to dart across the grass without falling on your face. Get a long piece of rope and an even amount of people, and then begin an old-fashioned tug of war. Have you ever heard of frisbee golf? Just imagine a regular game of frisbee but instead of throwing to another person, your goal is to get the frisbee into a basket. If you want to be really old school, I would suggest some potato sack races and even a game of horseshoes!

A field day wouldn’t be complete without some quality food. Peanut butter sandwiches are a must, as well as fruit juice and Cheetos. But if you’ve worked up more of a hefty appetite (running in a potato sack all day can be really tiring), then you might be interested in organizing and participating in a hot dog eating contest! We’re not talking SodexHo dogs here either, people. The field day dogs should be provided by none other than the delicious Gray’s Papaya on 72nd Street. Mmm… Top off your lunch with a home made smore—those delicious graham cracker sandwiches oozing with melted chocolate and marshmallow. Just grab a twig and head to the nearest open grill to roast those marshmallows. Not a fan of roasting desserts on an open flame?  Create your own sundae instead. Just imagine long tables filled with every ice cream flavor and dozens of different toppings—cookie crumbs, gummy bears, sprinkles, whipped cream and cherries! An event like this will make you realize that you’re never too old to enjoy a messy meal or a silly game outdoors.

Another idea is to hold a “water day,” which would be like field day except everyone would be getting wet! Just imagine hundreds of water balloons being thrown from all angles of the Lowenstein Plaza. Perhaps you could interest some of your professors in a game of student versus faculty water balloon dodgeball. You know that English teacher who gave you a B on that 10 page paper you worked so hard on?  Take revenge in the form of a balloon filled with water, and peg him or her during dodgeball when they’re not looking. Have a water gun competition between school clubs, like laser tag but with Super Soakers instead. No water day would be complete without a Slip-N-Slide! And who could forget water Twister? You’ll be sure to be laughing hysterically while getting soaked.

Have you ever been to Medieval Times in New Jersey? The epic battles, the jousting tournaments, the romantic knights and the royal feasts are what make the Medieval period come alive in modern times—this is not your typical Canterbury Tale. It’s real life adventure, and it could be happening right here at FCLC! Just imagine a Medieval Fair out on the plaza during a beautiful spring afternoon. The security guards could dress as court jesters and the people serving your massive turkey legs could dress as kings or queens. Knights in shining armor would be roaming the plaza mounted high on royal horses. You could receive a first hand jousting lesson!  Minstrels would be singing throughout the yard while magicians and jugglers entertained the crowds. A hearty meal of roasted chicken, turkey legs, spare ribs and potatoes would be served without utensils. This is a medieval fair so we have to abide by their culinary rules. So get ready to go back in time to a simpler lifestyle that didn’t include forks or very many vegetarians.

Although these are not your typical events at a school campus in the center of New York City, who’s to say we can’t make it happen?