A Tribute: The Life and Times of Dollar Beers

Published: April 9, 2009

A Fordham tradition for a nearly decade, students from all walks of life converged every Wednesday night at The Lincoln Park Grill. They would migrate down Ninth Avenue to the narrow, low-lit bar to share pitchers of watered-down beer, making lifelong memories that transcended the notorious cliques that drive apart the FCLC community. Unfortunately, these cliques have now been forced to regroup, gather in their respective territories and seek out new locales for debauchery. In this very special Observatory, we asked students to reflect on their experiences at Dollar Beers: the good, the bad and the regrettable.

What is your fondest memory of Dollar Beers?

“I loved seeing people in the halls on Wednesdays, and the only exchange that would take place would be, ‘You coming tonight?’ ‘Of course.’ Also, I loved walking into Lincoln Park and making my rounds. I had to talk to every member of the staff and every student I knew before I ordered my first drink.”
-Thomas Richardson, FCLC ’09

“Since Fordham isn’t really the college experience, my favorite time at Dollar Beers was when we put five tables together in the back and played Flip Cup with about 20 or so people. Drinking games are a rarity in my daily experience in NYC.”
-Stephanie Sollers, FCLC ’10

“[My] fondest memory of Dollar Beers is actually the day after Dollar Beers. Thursday mornings, my roommates and I would swap stories and it was, at the very least, a bonding experience.”
-Meaghan Doherty, FCLC ’09

“It was essentially the same every week, but the best part about it was that you got to see people that you wouldn’t see otherwise.  So whenever I had some new infatuation with some guy I barely knew, I would look for him at Dollar Beers and, inevitably, find him there.   Then I would go have a few beers with my girls.”
-Kelsey Pete, FCLC ’09

What did Dollar Beers mean to you and other FCLC students?

“Without frats at Lincoln Center or any real dorm life, Dollar Beers was where you could see anybody and everybody.”
-Thomas Richardson, FCLC ’09

“Dollar beers meant a night of complete debauchery—not to mention if you stayed one minute past 1 a.m., you would always have a crazy story to tell.”
-Stephanie Sollers, FCLC ’10

“Dollar Beers meant socialization to me. I hardly ever drank a beer, to be honest! It was all about seeing friends and catching up with people that maybe you hadn’t seen in a couple days or weeks.”
-Meaghan Doherty, FCLC ’09

“It was just a nice pause in the middle of the week to hang out with everyone. It was so chill. Almost everyone you knew went, and it was a great way to meet people.”
-Nikki Cummiskey, FCLC ’09

“Dollar beers was the one time that Fordham students could all get together and just hang out and have a good time.  Because of the restrictions on the amount of people we can have in the dorms and noise constraints, besides the Fordham events that no one really goes to, Dollar Beers was where you could go to see everyone.  It was the equivalent of a Fordham Lincoln Center party for everyone.  The only one of its kind.”
-Kelsey Pete, FCLC ’09

What was your creepiest encounter at Dollar Beers?

“My creepiest encounter involved a magic show. It was Doug Johnson… the old doorman’s last night before he left for Arizona, and there were only five people left in the bar. A magician, Doug, the bartender, myself and a girlfriend of mine. I had no idea that cards and other tricks could seem so sleazy.”
-Stephanie Sollers, FCLC ’10

“I once got asked out by two friends simultaneously at Dollar Beers. They said they didn’t mind sharing a girl. Needless to say, I politely declined their offer.”
-Meaghan Doherty, FCLC ’09

“One time a group of firefighters from Queens set up shop at the back table and they were blocking off the entrance to the girl’s bathroom, and they wouldn’t let anyone pee until they sat and talked to them for a while.”
-Liz Metzler, FCLC ’09

“I was standing there with my boyfriend and a few of my friends. These guys started pushing through to get towards the back, splitting us up. I smiled to show no hard feelings, and one of them stopped and proceeded to talk to me about my personal life for 10 minutes. I tapped my boyfriend on the shoulder very unsubtly, and he noticed. It worked to get him away, but my boyfriend thought it was hilarious that I had a 40-year-old guy from Texas hitting on me.”
-Nikki Cummiskey, FCLC ’09

Describe Dollar Beers in one word:

“Banned”
-Stephanie Sollers, FCLC ’10

“Sanctuary”
-Thomas Richardson, FCLC ’09

“Family”
-Meaghan Doherty, FCLC ’09

“Amazing”
-Nikki Cummiskey, FCLC ’09

“Missed”
-Kelsey Pete, FCLC ’09