Fordham Football Finishes the Regular Season Strong

(Courtesy of Joaquin Rosso/The Observer)

By LUKE MOMO

On the final day of their regular season, the “So What?” motto-inspired Fordham Rams gave everything they had to oust Georgetown, another Patriot League opponent. The victory capped off a season that saw Coach Joe Moorhead’s team return only 13 seniors and graduate students after graduating an overwhelming 30 seniors last year. Despite the adversity, the Rams put together yet another impressive performance that saw all phases of their offensive game firing on all cylinders.

At first, it appeared as if the Rams were going to cruise past their Patriot League rival. They took a 28-7 lead around the midpoint of the second quarter, yet the Georgetown Hoyas would rally back to make the game close as the game concluded. Before that could happen though, the Rams enjoyed consistent play from both their junior quarterback Kevin Anderson and their sophomore running back Chase Edmonds.

Kevin Anderson shined with 21 completed passes on 29 total attempts that went for 217 yards and two touchdowns. Although Anderson didn’t accrue yardage through the air, his decision-making and accuracy made the Rams a difficult team to beat on Saturday. He also avoided mistakes by not throwing any interceptions or fumbling the ball to give the opponents a possible momentum shift to capitalize off of.

Chase Edmonds added to the offensive firepower with a big-time game. He put up 137 yards on 20 carries including a touchdown run. The game served as a nice conclusion to Edmonds remarkable and record-setting 2015 campaign that has cemented the still-young sophomore among the best to ever play running back for the Rams. In addition to Edmonds success, sophomore running back Jared Brevard was also able to get in on the action. Brevard would take a handoff in the fourth quarter and turn it into a touchdown that put the Rams up 38-31.

The defense also put up a strong performance to help the team win. In the closing minutes of the game, senior linebacker David Barletta was able to step in-front in of wayward Hoya pass to clinch the victory for the Rams. Although they allowed Georgetown to comeback from a 21-point deficit to take the lead back in the second half, the defense was able to come up clutch in situations when the team needed it the most to win. The special teams also delivered as kicker Makay Redd’s drilled a successful field goal kick that tied the game 31-31 that then set the final Brevard touchdown up for Fordham.

The win over Georgetown concluded the Fordham Rams 2015 campaign with a strong record of 9-2. Despite their strong record, they will learn Nov. 22 whether or not they will be receiving a bid to play in the 2015 NCAA FCS Championship.