Fire Defaces Bulletin in McKeon


On Saturday, Feb. 7, a section of an 18th floor bulletin board in the McKeon Residence Hall was ignited , according to an email from Fordham Public Safety sent around 4 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 8. The items burned include a poster advertising yoga for students and a bulletin board decoration advertising a concert at Jazz at Lincoln Center, according to Savannah Sturgeon, Fordham College at Lincoln Center (FCLC)’16 and Resident Assistant (RA) of the 18th floor of McKeon.

The email, sent by John Carroll, associate vice president of Fordham Public Safety, said, “it was apparent that some papers on a bulletin board had been burned.” The fire occurred concurrently with a “burning smell” on the 22nd floor, which resulted “due to someone cooking dinner in the [22nd floor] kitchen.” The events appear to be unrelated.

As of Sunday, Feb. 8, the remnant of the defaced section of the bulletin board has been removed. There was a small pile of ashes and sections of burned paper beneath the removed section.

Public Safety is currently investigating the issue. Fordham Security asks anyone with information regarding the fire on the 18th floor to contact Fordham Public Safety and ask to speak with a Duty Supervisor at (212) 636-6076.