The Best Five Bars for a Night of Bromance

Beer Pong, Pizza and Nintendo?  Let the bonding begin…

By MAGDA KALATA

Published: April 17, 2008

While the allure of dollar beers at Lincoln Park draws in Fordham students of both sexes (and even from both campuses), sometimes the convenient location and homey atmosphere is not enough to keep the interest of the Fordham College at Lincoln Center (FCLC) boys. Venturing outside the walls of the Upper West Side neighborhood for an evening of male bonding seems to be commonplace among the guys, as they pony up the $2 MetroCard and head for downtown and outer borough nightlife.  From beer pong Olympics to outdoor bars, it’s no wonder that these venues seem to draw in a predominantly “guys’ night out” sort of crowd.

Town Tavern
134 W 3rd St. (Greenwich Village)
(212) 253-6955

It’s no secret that guys love sports, and since FCLC doesn’t have much to offer in that department, the beer pong Olympics held at Town Tavern can appease the competitor in every guy. With pitchers of beer running a quarter a piece, you can play all night—or at least between 7 and 11 p.m. on Wednesdays—and really decide who the alpha male of the pack is. As an added perk, during baseball season, all Yankee and Mets games are shown on the flat screens, and every home run earns customers a shot of Jagermeister. That, along with the $2 pints and $0.25 plates of wings, is something every fan can cheer for, no matter what your team colors are.

McSorley’s Old Ale House
15 E. 7th St. (East Village)
(212) 473-9148

Though it started serving female customers in the 1970s, this East Village bar stills draws a predominantly male crowd.  Filled with college students from across the city, everyone is greeted with the same crucial question—light or dark? A quick choice means even quicker service, so have your answer prepared upon entering. And just in case you’re wondering, those are your only options.  Applauded by frequent visitors, the large tables are perfect for accommodating equally large groups, while having only two types of brews helps the indecisive get their night started.

Crocodile Lounge
325 E. 14th St. (Union Square /East Village)
(212) 477-7747

If video games are your thing, the Crocodile Lounge offers the perfect solution: a room dedicated to an all-night tournament of only the finest Nintendo games. If this couldn’t sound any better, you get a free personal pizza with every drink—allowing all of the guys in your group to keep their energy going throughout the night. And if you’re feeling especially lucky, enter the trivia contest on Wednesday when the winning team receives free drinks. Smokers can also enjoy the outdoor patio without feeling shunned from the party atmosphere.

Bohemian Hall Beer Garden
29-19 24th Ave. (Astoria)
(718) 274-4925

Despite its large assortment of foreign beers, the Bohemian Hall Beer Garden may not be worth the long subway ride in the winter months, but once the weather cracks, it is a safe bet for a great night out.  With an interior decorated in only the best Czech kitsch, the real pull of this Astoria haunt is the spacious outdoor seating area.  Picnic tables fill the lawn and two bars serve up pitchers of beer to men of all legal ages. From college students to older generations of Slavic immigrants, everyone seems to enjoy the live polka tunes streaming from the bandstand, especially after a few Pilsners.

Gin Mill
442 Amsterdam Ave. (Upper West Side)
(212) 580-9080

Looking for something a bit closer to campus?  Gin Mill is only a few blocks uptown and offers a little bit of everything.  With Happy Hour running from 5 to 8 p.m. on weekdays, here you’ll find cheap drinks, substantial bar food, beer pong, pool tables and sports games galore.  It does tend to get a little crowded and loud, but who goes to a college bar to talk anyway?