Resolution Revolution: New Habits for the Start of the New School Year

Jennifer Kelly (left) and Zach Aaronson (right) resolve to make changes. (Sara Azoulay/The Observer)

By KIMBERLY GALBRAITH

To make this fall semester more successful than the last, the Fordham College of Lincoln Center (FCLC) community has set resolutions both personal and academic.

What are among those academic resolutions? Mainly not to leave homework until last minute.

“Every semester there is either one or two things I leave until last minute, whether it’s a final paper that I haven’t done on time,” Zach Aaronson, FCLC ’13, said. “Over the summer I had an African history paper and I turned it in so late! I need to get better about getting written assignments in on time.”

Amna Khan, FCLC ’16, made a similar resolution, to procrastinate less, because, she said, “When I would finally start to do my homework, I always ended up so stressed out. ”

Other students will try to balance their academic and social lives better. “I want to balance my social life with academic life the best I can because it’s a lot different from high school,” Nuwani Irizarry, FCLC ’16, said. “I thought there would be a lot of freedom and more balance. It’s difficult to manage both.”

Melissa Monconduit, FCLC ’14, also said she wants to find the balance between school and a social life. “I want to be able to give the best of my abilities to school, while also having time outside of school. I find that to be the hardest.”

Molly Spater, FCLC ’15, has a resolution to organize. “I realized that every year I always buy an academic planner and never end up using it. I always get mad because I am so disorganized and forget to do things until last minute,” Spater said.

Although New York is known as the city that never sleeps, some students wish they could get more shut-eye. Jennifer Kelly, FCLC ’13, is one of them. Kelly, a commuter, said her resolution is to “get enough sleep and find enough time to study more.”

Shante Brown, a graduate student at Fordham and also a commuter, said she agrees. “My main resolution is to go to sleep between 10:30 and 11 p.m. and to be up between 5:30 and 6 a.m.” Brown said. “I commute and want to try to have more time for myself in the morning. I would like time to cook, prepare food and be ready for the day. It’s hard to do that when you have to get up and run out of the house! It definitely is a struggle, we’ll see what happens. Hopefully I’ll be al right,” Brown said.

Students of FCLC are not the only ones making resolutions; so are their professors.

“I would like to be more organized between my email and papers,” Kathryn Kueny, director of religious studies at Fordham. “It’s hard to keep track of everything.”

Professor Carmen Sanchis-Sinisterra, who teaches Spanish, has a resolution for outside of the classroom. “I would like to get to know better the history and culture of West Harlem, my neighborhood, and to read Marx’s “Capital.” I already started both, I’m so excited.”