Fordham Baseball Takes Series From Minutemen

The Rams took two of three games in dramatic fashion against UMass to boost their A10 record over .500
Declan+Lavelle+threw+8.1+innings+and+122+pitches+in+a+heroic+feat+against+UMass+Amherst.+
COURTESY OF FORDHAM ATHLETICS
Declan Lavelle threw 8.1 innings and 122 pitches in a heroic feat against UMass Amherst.

The Fordham baseball team had a successful trip to Amherst, Massachusetts, winning two out of three games against the University of Massachusetts (UMass) Amherst Minutemen this past weekend. Additionally, Head Coach Kevin Leighton earned his 500th career coaching win and 300th win at Fordham.

The Rams won their second Atlantic 10 (A10) series in a row following a disappointing road trip against the University of Dayton and lackluster non-conference schedule to start the season. 

The series was originally slated to start on Friday, but the opener was postponed to Saturday due to inclement weather, with the teams playing a doubleheader. The Rams jumped out to an early lead in the series opener, with Cian Sahler, Fordham College at Rose Hill (FCRH) ’25, driving in Daniel Bucciero, Gabelli School of Business at Rose Hill (GSBRH) ’26, for the game’s first run in the top of the first inning. 

UMass responded a few innings later, scoring two runs in the bottom of the third on four singles and a sacrifice bunt to take a 2-1 edge. Unfazed by the home team’s rally, Fordham took a lead that UMass would not rally back from in the next half inning.

A pair of errors by Braden Sullivan, UMass ’27, put two runners on base and started Fordham’s rally. Two straight singles drove in a pair of runs and put the Rams ahead 3-2. Ryan Thiesse, GSBRH ’24, cleared the bases with a double in the next at-bat, extending Fordham’s advantage to three runs, 5-2.

The two teams traded runs as the game neared its conclusion. Fordham tacked on another run in the top of the fifth before UMass left fielder Austin Burgess, UMass ’24, responded with a solo home run in the seventh. The Rams added an insurance run in the top of the ninth to bring the score to 7-3. 

With two outs and two runners on base, Emory transfer Henry Pelinski, GGSB ’24, sent the ball out of the park to put Fordham on top, 6-5.

The game seemed all but secured, but Burgess had other things in mind. With two outs and two runners on base, the scorching slugger launched his second homer of the game out of the park to bring the Minutemen within a run. Burgess’ effort fell just short, however, as UMass’ next batter flew out following a pitching change to end the game, a 7-6 Fordham win. 

Although pitcher Declan Lavelle, FCRH ’24, could not finish the game after his shaky ninth inning, he ended the day having thrown 8.1 innings and a heroic 122 pitches while striking out 12 opposing hitters. 

The Rams celebrated the victory, the 500th in Leighton’s storied career, and geared up for their second game of the day. This effort was not as successful for the Rams. UMass struck first, jumping out to a rapid 5-0 lead in the bottom of the second. The Minutemen hit two doubles, a walk, and three singles in the relentless offensive burst. 

With two outs and two runners on base, the scorching slugger launched his second homer of the game out of the park to bring the Minutemen within a run.

A run from Fordham in the third inning cut into the home team’s lead, but the real damage from the Rams came in the top of the fourth. Fordham started the inning with two singles and a hit by a pitch to load the bases before a sacrifice fly drove in the Rams’ second run of the game. Another Fordham batter was hit by a pitch, immediately loading the bases once again. 

After a line drive was caught for the inning’s second out, yet another Ram was hit by a pitch to bring in another run. Finally, Sahler walked in the third run of the inning and when the dust settled, Fordham only trailed by a run, 5-4. 

The Minutemen immediately answered the spurt. Specifically, one familiar Minuteman responded. After the leadoff hitter in the bottom of the fourth was hit by a pitch, Burgess connected on his third home run of the day to extend the UMass lead, 7-4. 

Fordham added another run in the top of the fifth and threatened to tie the game in the ninth, but its effort would not be enough and the Minutemen salvaged the day, winning 7-5 ahead of Sunday’s rubber match. 

The final game of the series was a nail-biter. All hope appeared lost for Fordham to win the series early in the game. A single from Burgess drove in a run before a three-run home run from Mike Gervasi, UMass ’24, gave the Minutemen a 4-0 lead in the bottom of the first. The resilient Rams would not go down without a fight, and in the next half inning catcher Tommy McAndrews, FCRH ’26, launched his third homer of the season, a solo shot, to cut the lead to three.

UMass maintained its lead for most of the game from that point forward. That is until the top of the sixth, when the Rams were able to load the bases. In the ensuing at bat, Steve Luttazi, Gabelli Graduate School of Business (GGSB) ’24, was hit by a pitch to drive in Fordham’s second run of the game before a sacrifice fly brought in another run. The inning ended with the Rams trailing by only a run, 4-3. 

Gervasi hit a solo home run in the bottom of the seventh, extending UMass’ lead to two once again. It was the top of the eighth inning that proved decisive for the Rams. With two outs and two runners on base, Emory transfer Henry Pelinski, GGSB ’24, sent the ball out of the park to put Fordham on top, 6-5. The Rams closed it out and left the Bay State on a high note. 

Early in the season, it seemed that Fordham may struggle to compete in the A10, but those fears appear to have been set aside for the time being. The Rams sit at 5-4 in their conference and have addressed many of the issues that held them back earlier this year.

The Rams built on their positive weekend in their non-conference matchup against Sacred Heart University yesterday. In a low-scoring affair, Fordham won 2-1, with Madden Ocko, GSBRH ’27, lifting a sacrifice fly in the bottom of the eighth to secure victory. 

Fordham’s next A10 series will take place on Friday, April 19 against Saint Louis University in the Bronx. The Rams are looking to maintain momentum and win their third straight A10 series.