Freshmen, Do You Know Your Senators?

By NATASHA PASCETTA

Published: November 8, 2007

FCLC—Ashley Tedesco, Jenna Matecki and Matt Rodriguez, the recently elected United Student Government (USG) Freshmen Senators and representatives of the Class of 2011, said they are excited to act as liaisons between the freshman student body and Fordham College at Lincoln Center’s (FCLC) faculty and administration. The Observer sat down with each of the representatives, as well as USG President Dave de la Fuente, FCLC ’10, to find out more information about them and about the new initiatives USG is preparing for this year.

THE OBSERVER: Where are you from?

ASHLEY TEDESCO: I’m from Doylestown, Penn.

THE OBSERVER: Were you involved in your high school’s student government?

AT: I was involved in my student government in high school, but I never held an executive board position within student government, only in other activities.

THE OBSERVER: What USG event are you most excited about?

AT: I’m really excited for the Winter Ball that’s coming up for Lincoln Center students. I also had a great time working on the Oksoberfest committee. It was a great experience and the final event was such a blast!

THE OBSERVER: What do you think students at FCLC would be surprised to learn about USG?

AT: We work very hard and we implement students’ ideas. For me, at least, coming from a high school where the student government officers were only there to get another activity on their college applications, it’s really refreshing to see a group of truly dedicated people who know who to talk to and how to make goals  — and then reach them.

THE OBSERVER: Where are you from?

MATT RODRIGUEZ: I was born in Brooklyn but have lived the majority of my life in Bayonne, NJ.

THE OBSERVER: Were you involved in your high school student government?

MR: Yes, I was on the executive board of my student government my senior year of high school.

THE OBSERVER: Do you have any ideas or plans that you would like to see USG carry out?

MR: I would like to see USG have the students of Fordham register to vote. I’m actually pushing for this event right now. I’m thinking of calling it “The Fordham Factor.”

MR: I think they’d be surprised to know that EVERYONE is a part of USG.  USG really does want to work for them, but the students and USG must work in tandem. I also think they’d be surprised to know that without USG, they would not be able to walk on the grass outside, have a deli in their cafeteria, or have the cafeteria open extra hours on weekends.

THE OBSERVER: What is a top concern or interest freshmen have expressed to USG?

MR: They have expressed problems with the wireless internet to me. That’s a big one.

THE OBSERVER: Where are you from?

JENNA MATECKI: Chicago, Ill.

JM: Yes, I was actively involved as a representative in student government throughout high school. I plan to bring my experience in that institution, as well as in the leadership roles of several other organizations, to enhance USG.

JM: A top concern that my classmates have expressed is the divide between the commuter and resident students. I feel that this is a big problem and will do my best to help bridge the gap.

JM: I am most excited about the Winter Ball. I’ve heard about how much fun it has been these past couple years and we have a great committee working on it this year.

THE OBSERVER: If you could implement any idea or event through USG what would it be?

JM: I would organize a Fordham music festival in which the student body would be able to vote on their favorite bands and we’d be able to bring them here to perform on the plaza. Definitely cool.

USG President Dave de la Fuente described some new initiatives that USG is looking forward to. “This year we are focusing on opening up more doors for Fordham students,” de la Fuente said. USG hopes “to bring in new foods to the cafeteria” and “spark interest and involvement on campus” with programs like the Lincoln Center Television Program (LCTV), the second annual Club Networking Dinner, the Christmas tree lighting and the Winter Ball. “Our school’s spirit is linked to our students’ ability to participate in something great,” de la Fuente said. USG meetings are held in Room LL515 at 12:30 p.m. on Thursdays and are open to all students.