Council Names Senior Dean And Discusses University Plans

By ANTHONY GONG

Fordham College at Lincoln Center (FCLC)’s College Council addressed various topics at its meeting on Oct. 27, which included the announcement that a new dean of Seniors at FCLC has been selected. The council also discussed the university’s plans for full-time faculty teaching the core curriculum and an early admission to the Master of Arts (M.A.) program in theology to funds for undergraduate research.

The council reviewed affairs to oversee the university’s well-being for its students and faculty.

The Rev. Robert R. Grimes, S.J., dean of FCLC, announced that Joseph Creamer, a graduate from Providence College who received a doctorate in history from the University of Washington, is expected to begin his term as assistant dean for seniors at FCLC the week of Oct. 29. “Everyone was very impressed with him,” Grimes said.

Grimes also said that one of the significant focuses for the university this year is adding more faculty members and lecturers to teach the core curriculum. He said that with the new building on campus scheduled to finish by 2014, an immense number of students will be coming to FCLC in the following years.

“While everyone is so focused on the present, I’m talking about the future here,” Grimes said. “The faculty will expand [at] Lincoln Center. There is no question.” With members of the board debating about whether to hire more lecturers or adjuncts, many feel that FCLC will still be short-handed.

The council said that it believes it is essential for FCLC to increase its faculty staff since several professors are sent to Rose Hill without notice of who will return. “I know in my own department that the full-time faculty should be teaching the introductory courses because that’s how you get [students] to sign up for other classes later on,” Grimes said. “The focus is to have more undergraduates on campus.”

The implementation of early admission for a masters program in the theology department was another topic addressed. The board said that they felt there was potential in this and now is the time to take the initiative. The new M.A. degree is designed for students who want to teach religion in Catholic schools.

According to Karina Hogan, associate chair of the theology department, the sudden need for an early admission came when multitudes of students were starting to take greater interest in theology. “We saw a big increase for people in this major,” Hogan said. “Basically, it’s bringing more people into the existing program.”

At the meeting, the council also discussed funding for undergraduate research. Students were given the opportunity to present their findings in order to receive aid. John Seitz, professor of American Catholic studies and theology, said that provisions are available through “mechanisms” like the summer grants. These types of aid provide students compensation for research, both domestic and foreign.

While some on the council said that they felt as if they are making improvements with the school’s current situation, one student disagrees with some of the proposals. Jeffrey Cipriano, FCLC’ 14, attended the College Council meeting and said that his biggest complaint was the lack of transparency between students and faculty members.

“I felt like a lot of things didn’t affect the students directly,” Cipriano said. “To me, there really wasn’t anything that seemed critical. I wish the faculty explicitly explained these things to us in greater detail because the students’ opinions are huge.”