MCSHANE DEBUTS ON BROADWAY

The former Fordham president proved himself to be a jack of all trades post-retirement: priest, president and play-actor.

By ALYSSA DAUGHDRILL, Meme Connoisseur

Former University President Rev. Joseph M. McShane, S.J., soft launched his retirement in September 2021 after having led Fordham for 19 years as its president and in June 2022 his retirement began. Now, his long-awaited Broadway debut has been announced. Despite his title of president emeritus, it is not student drama that the showstopping McShane craves — if all the world’s a stage, he’s happy to announce his time in the literal spotlight. 

The contentious return of the rock-opera Jesus Christ Superstar to Broadway is set even further apart because of McShane’s role as one of the Apostles. Though the show’s initial debut in 1971 was met with intense protest from a multitude of religious groups, within the next few years, it apparently gained Pope Francis’ approval alongside the Vatican. 

While unanticipated, McShane’s involvement is far from an unwelcome development. According to Premier Christianity, Pope Paul VI thought the musical would open people’s minds to Christianity, and the album was added to the Vatican Radio’s playlists.

This version of the story paints Judas more favorably: He made choices in accordance with what he thought best embodied Jesus’ teachings, just like people do everyday.

The rock opera offers an alternate retelling of the Biblical story of Jesus’ life and death from the perspective of Judas Iscariot, the disciple who betrayed Jesus, which led to his arrest and crucifixion. This version of the story paints Judas more favorably: He made choices in accordance with what he thought best embodied Jesus’ teachings, just like people do everyday. 

In these tumultuous times, McShane hopes that seeing this depiction of an everyman doing their best and receiving consequences will provide him the platform to impart another lesson upon the university students over which he once presided, while also giving him the opportunity to embrace his flair for the dramatics and passion for the stage.

‘I hope to live not just in the hearts of my students, but in the hearts of my fans’, McShane said when asked about ending his brief retirement and career change.

While Jesus Christ Superstar’s return to Broadway is limited, the memory of McShane’s contributions to the production will undoubtedly live on in viewers’ memories for years to come.

Ever-dedicated to embodying the tenets of cura personalis, or ‘care of the whole person’ if you are outside of the Fordham bubble, McShane believes that his time on the stage will help him grow emotionally, morally, and spiritually. He also hopes his adventurous endeavor will encourage others to act in accordance with what will allow their artistic side to prosper as well, so that they may grow into well rounded individuals. 

As an academic and Jesuit priest, McShane has dedicated a significant portion of his life to serious, rigorous pursuits, and he hopes that his time on Broadway will prove to be an invigorating workout of different traits and strengths. 

The unconventional expansion of his outreach has turned heads and raised questions, but little can be done to dispute his command of the stage.  

Students are encouraged to attend his opening-night performance, as well as those in the following weeks. While Jesus Christ Superstar’s return to Broadway is limited, the memory of McShane’s contributions to the production will undoubtedly live on in viewers’ memories for years to come. Members of the Fordham’s theater department are especially excited to see his performance and have claimed him as one of their own.