HOW TO: Rock the Undergrad Vote

Make your voice heard in the 2019 USG Elections

GRAPHIC ILLUSTRATION BY ESME BLEECKER-ADAMS

By COURTNEY BROGLE

Set your alarms, students. United Student Government (USG) elections are tomorrow, April 2, and close at noon on April 3. Once you have caught up with the presidential and vice presidential debate, casting your vote is only a matter of figuring out how to do it. Here is a guide to voting in the 2019 USG elections.

On Tuesday morning, you will receive an email from the USG Elections Committee prompting you to vote. The message will include a link to a poll on the USG OrgSync page, with options to vote for president, vice president, treasurer, secretary and grade-level representative for your year.

You can log into the OrgSync portal using your my.Fordham.edu username and password. If you are coming from the OrgSync host site to vote rather than the official Fordham link, you will need to enter your school before logging in through my.Fordham.edu. Then you must navigate the site manually to find the USG elections page in order to cast your ballot.

Once logged into your OrgSync account, enter in the search bar “VOTE- USG ELECTIONS” and the site will direct you to the appropriate portal. Once the voting form is live, you can open the form and select one candidate or write-in a nominee for each Executive Board position and your respective class Senator. Your vote cannot be edited after submitting the form.

Dr. Dorothy Wenzel, senior director of the Office of Student Involvement, explained that each student has a ballot is specific to them. “If they see a form that doesn’t match their college or class year, email the Board of Elections Committee and we’ll get it switched for them,” she said.

Wenzel added that it is important to make an informed decision, as your voice in student government matters.

“Voting is important in both civic engagement in our federal, state and city government as well as our student government,” she said. “These are the students that get to be responsive all year long to student needs and student concerns, and they help to oversee all the clubs. We need strong student leaders who will follow up and help support those clubs as well as advance other issues happening on campus.”

The candidates for each position are as follows:

President

• Tina Thermadam, Fordham College at Lincoln Center (FCLC) ’20
  • Austin Tong, Gabelli School of Business (GSB) ’21

Vice President

• Jiage (Ellen) Song, GSB ’21
  • Robert Stryczek, GSB ’21

Secretary

• Brielle Intorcia, FCLC ’20

Chair of the Student Affairs Committee

• Loreen Ruiz, FCLC ’21

Student Activities Budget Committee (SABC) Chair

• Joseph Moyer, Jr., FCLC ’22

GSB Senator at Lincoln Center

• Joseph VanGostein, ’22
  • Li (Frank) Wang, ’22

FCLC Senator

• Anastasia Gomez, ’20
  • Kirsten Murphy, ’21