Fordham University Mourns Victims of Christchurch Shooting

SHAMYA ZINDANI/THE OBSERVER

Through tears, Maryam Shoubir, President of the MSA, Fordham College Lincoln Center (FCLC) ’19, told the audience that “a mosque is the one place where you should feel safe, where you should be comfortable.”

By SOPHIE PARTRIDGE-HICKS

Campus Ministry and the Muslim Student Association (MSA) arranged a Prayer Vigil for Peace and Remembrance for the victims of a terrorist attack on Mosques in New Zealand, which killed 50 people and wounded an additional 50. Members of the two organizations and other students came to a podium to speak and reflect on the act of terror.

Maryam Shoubir, President of the MSA, Fordham College Lincoln Center (FCLC) ’19, came to the stage and read a prayer in Arabic to ask for forgiveness.

Through tears, Shoubir explained that the attacks took place during Friday afternoon prayer. She told the audience that “a mosque is the one place where you should feel safe, where you should be comfortable,” and that “all places of worship are sacred places.”

She said “these people were just praying … I just cannot believe that this is happening.”

Reem Farhat, Secretary of MSA, FCLC ’21, told the audience that this attack came from ignorance. She urged everyone “be people of action” and asked them to “learn about Islam, and to challenge ignorance” in their communities.   

Brandon Satz-Jacobowitz, President of Jewish Student Organization, began his speech by talking about an assignment he once had in a class that was designed to make students think critically about similar tragedies around the world.

He referenced the shooting that happened at a Synagogue in Pittsburgh, only 6 months ago; stating that “the Muslim community and the Jewish community are united. We need to be. We need to stand together in the face of violence.”

He finished his speech by telling the crowd that “I will remember the victims’ names, not the shooter’s.”

In an emailed statement to the Fordham community, President Joseph M McShane, S.J., said that “an attack upon our Muslim brethren is an attack on all of us. An attack on a mosque is likewise an attack on every church, temple, and other houses of worship. It is an attack on decency and an attack on the entire human family.”

He also wrote, “I know you join me in keeping the victims, and their families and loved ones, in your thoughts and prayers.”

To end the vigil, Farhat told attendees about a pledge sheet titled “In Solidarity with the Victims of the New Zealand Mosque Shootings” and invited everyone to come and write their thoughts. Students gathered around the poster to share their sentiments and to honor the victims.

Some of the comments included “Rest Easy in Allah’s Embrace. May Every Soul Find Peace Within,” and “May God Grant Us Peace, Love and Life.”