Sodexo Town Hall Addresses Student Questions and Concerns

By KATIE BERRY

The second Sodexo Town Hall meeting of the 2010-2011 academic year took place on Apr. 19 in the South Lounge. The United Student Government’s (USG) Food Services Committee and Sodexo representatives assembled and opened the floor to students from Fordham College at Lincoln Center (FCLC) to address their food service issues and concerns.

Nicolette Harrington, FCLC ’13, initiated the discussion as she expressed her dissatisfaction with the prices of food in the cafeteria. “I rarely eat at the cafeteria because the price of a sandwich or wrap is at least $7, and that is not including chips or a drink,” Harrington said. “We are college students with not a lot of money, it’s unreasonable.”

Brian Poteat, general manager of Sodexo at all Fordham campuses, sympathized with Harrington’s concerns and explained the difficulty Sodexo faces in being a retail cafeteria as opposed to a single-price meal cafeteria.

“We are going back to look at our prices this summer,” Poteat said. “We will be doing a competitive analysis to make sure we are in tune with the community and look for similar items that can be substituted to help off set the cost for students.”

Brandi D’Esposito, FCLC ’11 and president of USG, proposed the creation of a value menu to Sodexo representatives as a way for students on campus to feel as those they are getting more for their money. A “Subway-inspired” food and drink combination would include a sandwich or wrap with the choice of a foundation drink and side for a fixed price.

Poteat said he was optimistic that this could be achieved. “We are looking to create more value meals and are hoping to expand that menu over the summer,” Poteat said.

In addition, Poteat also addressed concerns about the health inspection grades certain dining areas at Fordham’s Rose Hill campus received. The Student Deli at Rose Hill obtained the lowest grade, “C,” based on a series of violations.

According to the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, each violation earns the restaurant a certain amount of points. These points are totaled at the end of inspection and a letter grade is designated. The “C” grade is given for 28 or more points. The Student Deli earned a total of 53 points for food temperature violations, evidence of mice and roaches, and unsanitary food surfaces.

Poteat talked to students who were alarmed by the problem and fear that it would occur at FCLC, and said, “We stepped up regulations at Rose Hill. There were violations that food wasn’t held properly and we’ve corrected them.”

Poteat said, “I can assure you that we do everything possible to ensure our food is safe and healthy.”

Annette Comito, a Sodexo representative, also offered students the opportunity to tour the facilities to see firsthand that food service procedures are being followed in terms of safety and sanitation. Both Poteat and Comito offered students their personal email addresses and urged them to contact them directly if a situation occurs.

“We are looking to improve communication between students and Sodexo,” Comito said. “There will be signs posted throughout the cafeteria so that students can reach out to a Sodexo manager with their concerns right away.”

Christopher Chromey, FCLC ’12 and USG president pro tempore, said that he was pleased with the discussion generated at the Sodexo Town Hall. “I think this was extremely helpful. People didn’t have a problem addressing Sodexo with their problems and got their questions answered,” Chromey said.

Chromey is hopeful that the continual occurrence of Sodexo Town Halls will generate an increase in student participation. “Moving forward, I think there are a lot of things the committee can accomplish,” Chromey said.