Fordham Begins Stronger Enforcement of Mask Policy on Campus

A study conducted by The Observer reveals that one-third of students in the Garden-Level Lounge were violating university policy

MADDIE SANDHOLM

The Observer surveyed the Garden Level Lounge to see how many people were wearing masks, how many were eating while unmasked, and how many were not eating and not wearing their masks.

Fordham’s return to fully in-person operations for the fall 2021 semester was contingent on three factors: a vaccination requirement, daily health screenings and a mask requirement. Despite these precautions, Lincoln Center experienced a spike in COVID-19 cases in September, and the campus reached its highest case count of the pandemic so far. 

As of Sept. 19, more than 99% of undergraduate students are vaccinated, and daily symptom screenings through VitalCheck are required to enter buildings on campus. The implementation of mandatory mask-wearing in common spaces is not as enforced — yet. 

The Observer conducted a study of mask-wearing habits in the Garden-Level Lounge by Argo Tea from Oct. 13 to Oct. 22. Every weekday at 12 p.m. and 5 p.m., students were counted and grouped into three categories: wearing a mask properly, not wearing a mask properly but engaging in active eating or drinking, and not wearing a mask properly and not engaging in active eating or drinking.

chart showing number of people wearing masks (249), number of people not wearing them while eating (123), and number of people not wearing them while not eating (177)
Nearly one-third of people seen in the survey were not wearing masks while not eating. (MADDIE SANDHOLM)

There were 549 people counted in the data collection period during the 16 observances. The percentage of individuals who wore masks correctly was 45.4%, while 22.4% of individuals were observed not wearing masks properly but engaging in active eating or drinking.

Almost one-third of the students observed, 32.2%, were not wearing masks properly and not engaging in active eating or drinking.

The university’s code of conduct states that masks must be worn indoors at all times unless the person is alone in a room or in their residence hall room. Students, faculty and staff who violate the policy may face sanctions by the university.

“If you are a slow eater you need to put your mask back on between bites.” Jenifer Campbell, dean of students at FCLC

Jenifer Campbell, dean of students at Lincoln Center, clarified that if you are “actively eating” you are able to take your mask off. 

“If you are a slow eater you need to put your mask back on between bites. If you are actively engaging in a bite or sip, you can take off your mask, but once that ends, the expectation is that you put it back on,” she said.

Several students included in the study shared their opinions on Fordham’s COVID-19 safety precautions and how they feel about the mixture of mask status in the Argo Tea area.

students in garden level lounge some without masks while eating and some while not eating
A student is seen not wearing their mask properly while eating. Multiple students in the background are seen not wearing masks while not eating, as were 32.2% of students observed in the study. The university plans on enforcing mask policies more strictly in the future. (ALEXA STEGMULLER)

“I feel comfortable taking my mask off in Argo Tea to eat since it is one of Fordham Lincoln Center’s few indoor communal spaces,” Nusaiba Chakladar, Fordham College at Lincoln Center (FCLC) ’24, said. 

Lev Yakovlev, FCLC ’23, said he feels comfortable not wearing his mask in Argo Tea and that he feels “more comfortable in spaces without masks than with them.”

Another student, Abdelkader Faid, FCLC ’23, said he wears a mask everywhere on campus besides Argo Tea and believes that Fordham should make rules more apparent to students.

“We are not looking to make this a police state. We are at the point now where we are trying to get folks in sync with the protocol and the signage is an initial gentle reminder.” Jenifer Campbell

On Oct. 22, one week after Faid expressed the need for clearer communication of expectations, signage was placed around different communal spaces on campus. The signs read: “Masks must be worn at all times (unless actively eating or drinking),” four of which were placed in the Argo Tea Garden-Level Lounge.

Campbell said she worked with Facilities to place signage in common areas on campus where students’ adherence to the mask requirement is “more relaxed” than she is comfortable with.

Argo Tea, the Ram Café, the Student Lounge and the third-floor lounge of Lowenstein are some of the areas where Campbell said signs will be hung to remind students of mask-wearing expectations.

students in the garden lounge eating and wearing masks correctly
Two students are seen following the university’s mask policies. Students are permitted to take off their masks while actively eating but must keep it on at all other times. (ANDREW DRESSNER)

“We are not looking to make this a police state,” she said. “We are at the point now where we are trying to get folks in sync with the protocol and the signage is an initial gentle reminder.”

Natalia Zabala, FCLC ’23, agreed that a reminder could be beneficial, especially during peak times when “people need to be better at putting their masks on.” She said the spacing of the tables helps her feel more comfortable when Argo Tea is crowded.

The average capacity of Argo Tea during the 16 observances was 34 people. The highest capacity recorded was 52 people on Thursday, Oct. 21 at 12 p.m. during the activity block.

“Students have taken that as ‘when I’m sitting at the table I don’t have to be wearing my mask,’ and that’s not the case.”

Alden Kennedy, FCLC ’22, said she is frustrated by the lack of enforcement of the mask-wearing policy.

“In Argo, the policy is that you can take your mask off to eat and drink but then replace it when you’re done because this is a dining area,” Kennedy said. “Students have taken that as ‘when I’m sitting at the table I don’t have to be wearing my mask,’ and that’s not the case.”

Some students, such as Boone Sommers, FCLC ’25, said they feel comfortable taking their masks off in Argo Tea when sitting with friends or roommates. Sommers said he always wears a mask when he is working with students he does not know as well. 

After a grace period of one to two weeks of the signage’s implementation, Campbell said the university is going to move to full-scale enforcement of student conduct — placing sanctions on students who violate the mask-wearing requirement.