USG Votes On Proposals To Reform Financial Aid Office

By KATE MCGEE

Students struggling to pay their semester’s tuition don’t always find solace in the Financial Aid. (Lucy sutton/The Observer)

Published: March 30, 2011

The United Student Government (USG) at Fordham College at Lincoln Center (FCLC) has voted on a series of proposals to reform the university’s Financial Aid office, including the physical layout and some operation methods of the office..

USG’s Vice President of Student Affairs, Ryan O’Toole, FCLC ’12, said after they surveyed over 500 students at FCLC about their experiences with the Financial Aid office last semester, he realized some changes needed to be made.

“There were staff issues. Concerns about personability, that staff didn’t feel any sympathy or didn’t understand the problems students were experiencing,” O’Toole said. “[Students] felt like a lot of times [staff members] either gave them incorrect information or conflicting answers or were rude and dismissive towards them.”

The proposals include removing the glass barriers currently at the desks of employees, enclosing the part of the office that is in the second floor lounge of the Lowenstein building. USG also proposed increased efforts to create a more personal and friendly relationship between staff and students and allocating more of the university’s budget towards office resources and staff.

Nick Sulicki, FCLC ’11, said he has mixed feelings about the Financial Aid office and said there seems to be a lack of communication and trust.

“I found that it could take more time than necessary for paperwork to be processed,” Sulicki said. “On top of that I have had documents misplaced by the office on numerous occasions. I received notifications from them that they did not receive copies of tax returns for verification and this was for the past two years. After that I would have to wait weeks for a financial aid package to be finalized, and by then I am scrambling to file my loans.”

Sulicki said that has resulted in multiple late fees that he’s been required to pay. He said this year has been especially difficult, after he lost his Pell Grant and saw his financial aid cut drastically.

“I looked at my financial information and there wasn’t much of a difference between the last two years. I tried to file my loan this summer before classes, but with my financial aid package looking different each week I had to restart the loan process each time,” he said. “To me, it seems the answer to getting more aid is that there is no way. The staff is friendly but I gave up on financial aid and took what they would give me rather than deal with complaining.”

Patricia Peek, associate director of admission, said the Financial Aid office has always been open to new ideas and is especially receptive to these recent proposals.

“Many details remain to be explored,” she said, “but we share a common objective and appreciate the initiative and good work of USG in helping us to provide the services and support students will find helpful.”

While O’Toole said USG recognizes some of the proposals may be difficult—especially if they require structural changes within a building—he says physical changes to the office, including the removal of the glass barriers is the first step towards making the office more approachable for students.

“The office is set up like a bank with teller windows. Each section has glass so you can never hear what the staff person is saying,” O’Toole said. “You are forced to yell; everyone hears your financial problems. It is frustrating and impersonal.”

Peek said it is too early in the negotiation process to comment on the feasibility of the proposals, but said the office is especially aware of some specific problems, like the glass partitions.

“Space is at a premium in the Lowenstein building and there is a careful balance to be achieved in allocating space to financial services as well as to meet the needs that students and others have for meeting and lounge space,” Peek said. “Nonetheless, we are confident improvements can be made and are in discussion with facilities to advance this.”

In an effort to be more approachable, the Financial Aid office will be hosting an open house session the week of April 12 to help students with outstanding debt close their accounts before the end of the academic year. Students will be able to create a relationship with an individual counselor and work to understand the financial system overall.

“We really want to encourage students to take advantage of this opportunity to resolve issues and have their questions answered in a pro-active rather than reactive manner,” Peek said.

According to O’Toole, the Financial Aid office reviewed the proposals during the university’s spring break to decide what proposals are feasible. They are planning to meet during the first week of April to talk about how to implement some of the suggestions.