Juice WRLD Rocks Fordham Swipe-Off Concert

By PATRICIA ANGELES

Hundreds of students from both the Rose Hill and Lincoln Center campuses and traveled to the Bronx, gathered at the gates of the New York Expo Center and waited to get into the much-awaited Tinder Swipe Off Concert on April 24. Students lined up as early as 9 a.m. just to see performers Juice WRLD and Charli XCX.

With the craziness of March Madness and students competing all over the country to see which university is the best, Tinder decided to jump in on the hype with its Swipe Off contest. The contest prompted students from all over the country to sign up for Tinder U, swipe right, find potential matches and earn points for their school. In the first year of the competition, UMass won a free Cardi B concert.

Prior to the concert, Lauren Probyn, senior marketing director at Tinder, said that this year, they got an overwhelming response all over the country for the Swipe Off contest. Fordham University came out first beating Stanford University, Cornell University and University of California – San Diego in the final four round.

At Tinder, we love giving back to our users and providing them with unforgettable experiences,” said Probyn. “Juice WRLD and Charli XCX are very popular among college students with some great chart-topping hits. So when we created the second Swipe Off, we knew they were the perfect people to perform.”

As soon as they opened the gates, hundreds of students from the Rose Hill and Lincoln Center campuses rushed into the 45,000 sq-ft. venue. Students were welcomed by Tinder staff handing out free Swipe Off and Tinder U-themed hats, shirts and foam fingers. Some students ran to the front of the stage full of excitement, while some danced their way to the front. By the time the concert started, the venue wasn’t fully packed, but about 300 students who attended.

At 7 p.m. Chicago-born rapper Juice WRLD, best known for his famed song “Lucid Dreams,”  hit the stage, making students go wild. “Robbery” and “Hear Me Calling” from his second album, “Death Race for Love” — which debuted at number one on Billboard 200 — boomed throughout the venue space. Students jumped to “Armed and Dangerous,” “Lean wit Me” and “Wasted,” all of which charted on the Hot 100. At the end, the lights were dimmed, the crowd was a sea of phone camera lights and Juice WRLD ended with “Lucid Dreams.”

After Juice WRLD’s set, English pop singer-songwriter Charli XCX jumped onto the stage singing international hits, “Fancy,” “I Love It” and “Boom Clap.” Charli XCX danced all over the stage performing electrifying singles “1 Night,” “1999” and “Boys.” The crowd was hyped  when she sang a rendition of the classic Spice Girls song, “Wannabe,” with her signature electro-pop twist. The international pop singer left the crowd feeling ecstatic after her set.

Overall, the event was well-planned, and the Swipe Off contest definitely got more people from Fordham to sign up for Tinder U. The concert catered to people who either love rap or pop. Tinder delivered Fordham students a concert that they will never forget.