Jumping for Soy! Eat your Way Through National Soy Month

By KATIE BERRY

Published: April 15, 2010

April is National Soy Food Month. To many non-vegetarians, the minute you mention soy, they think, spongy  and utterly tasteless. Many students would even choose a second helping of the mystery meat from the Lowenstein cafeteria before ordering a soy product. But the truth of the matter is that, packed inside that little soybean is a plethora of vitamins, minerals and amino acids that may make you reconsider that tofu stir-fry.

Trendy restaurants like Soy Cafe provide healthy and delicious ways for students to give soy a try. (JOE MARVILLI /The Observer)

However, there is more to soy than just tofu and Asian-inspired cuisine. From soymilk and soy burgers to soy cheese and soy rice, there is a soy product out there that will satisfy all taste buds and leave you jumping for soy! To ensure that Fordham students don’t shy away from this versatile little bean, here are a few suggestions of places in the city to go to indulge in a serving of soy.

Soy
Where: 102 Suffolk Street (Between Delancey Street & Rivington Street)
Hours: Monday-Friday 12 p.m.-10 p.m., Saturday 5 p.m.-10 p.m.
MORE INFO: 212-253-1158

Soy is a quaint, intimate café near the Williamsburg Bridge on the Lower East Side of Manhattan. A soy specialty such as the tofu steak with ponzu mushroom sauce and grilled vegetables is a must. For something on the sweeter side, be sure to try a green tea soy smoothie. From tofu salads to soy burgers prepared with a side of soy rice, there are a ton of options, and with every item being under nine dollars, you will be sure to leave with your belly and your wallet full. Soy even offers small, hands-on cooking classes for those interested in learning how to prepare quick and simple dishes!

Soy Café
Where: 115 Greenwich Avenue (Between 12th Street & Jane Street)
Hours: Monday-Friday 7 a.m.-10 p.m., Saturday-Sunday 9 a.m.-10 p.m.
MORE INFO: 212-229-9898

It is a known fact that New Yorkers love their coffee! You cannot walk a block without passing a Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts. For those willing to venture away from the norm, Soy Café is a great alternative. Whether it be a hot, vanilla-mint-steamed soy beverage for a cold winter night or a cool strawberry-coconut ‘soyafrost’ smoothie on a sunny day, there is a something to suit everyone’s desire. With drinks ranging from two dollars to $4.50, these soy sweets are a steal! For something a little more substantial, try the apple-banana soynut butter chocolate crépe to accompany your drink!

Soy & Sake
Where: 47 Seventh Avenue (Between Bleecker Street & Morton Street)
Hours: Monday-Thursday 12 p.m.-11 p.m., Friday-Saturday 12 p.m.-midnight, Sunday 12 p.m.-11 p.m.
MORE INFO: 212-255-2848

If you are looking for a place to take your significant other that is out of the ordinary, look no further than Soy & Sake. This place has it all: romantic ambiance, large portions for reasonable prices and delicious, vegetarian meals with traditional Japanese flair. Highly recommended is the Thai Green Curry Chicken, served with eggplant, green peppers, onions, sweet coconut, green curry sauce and rice. While it is soy chicken, it is guaranteed to be so tasty that even the most loyal meat-lover would be hard-pressed to tell the difference!

Wild Ginger
Where: 380 Broome Street (Between Mott Street & Mulberry Street)
Hours: Monday – Thursday 11 a.m.-10:30  p.m., Friday-Saturday 11:30 a.m.-11 p.m., Sunday 12:30 a.m.-10:30 p.m.
MORE INFO:  212-966-1883

Located in the heart of Little Italy, this vegan restaurant provides a diverse variety of faux chicken, pork, fish and eggs, just to name a few. They are known for their homemade sauces that douse all their intricate soy concoctions. With over two dozen sauces, the range of spices makes the simplest mock meat dish an instant success. Flooded with burnt orange and olive green colors, earthy décor, dim candlelight and relaxing music, this place is Little Italy’s hidden gem that will have one starving for soy.

Good Health Burger & Grill
Where: 237 E 53rd Street  (between Second Avenue & Third Avenune)
Hours: Monday – Sunday 11 a.m.-10 p.m.
MORE INFO:  212-888-8007

For those of us who feel like dining out is the downfall to all of our diet attempts, Good Health Burgers is is a diet-lover’s saving grace. This restaurant is far from your average burger joint. From the Spicy Texan BBQ Burger to the Chili-Lime Soy Chicken Burger, this restaurant has an abundance of options that one can sink his or her teeth into. With prices that will make any college student smile, these soy burgers are sure to keep you full and fit!