Fordham Welcomes New Deans & Graduate Interns

Sari Goodfriend

The new deans expressed enthusiasm for starting their tenure at Lincoln center (COURTESY OF CARDOZA REUNION 2014 VIA FLICKR)

By CONNOR MANNION

While the undergraduates are preparing for a crowded year, other academic changes on campus are in effect for mainly graduate and law students as new deans have been named for The Fordham Law School (LAW), the Graduate School of Education (GSE), and the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences (GSAS). Additionally, the graduate School of Business and undergraduate Gabelli program, have been unified into one Gabelli program under Donna Rapaccioli, dean of the unified Gabelli School of Business (GSB).

Some of the new deans are very excited to start their tenure and expressed enthusiasm in working at Lincoln Center. Eva Badowska, dean of GSAS, cited a strength of the campus, she said,“It’s [the campus’] sense of itself as cohesive and separate really stands out”.

Badowska cited her co-workers as well, she said “All my LC colleagues in the English department, for example, strongly identify with the campus and its students.”

Although there are many new deans at the campus of Lincoln Center, Fordham Lincoln Center will see minimal changes in day to day academic activities. According to Keith Eldridge, dean of students at Fordham Lincoln Center, “There are no new deans in FCLC [Fordham College at Lincoln Center] or Gabelli. There is a new dean of Fordham College at Rose Hill, a new dean of the law school, and a new dean of the graduate school of education, but I don’t think any of them will have much of a direct impact on FCLC or GSBLC students.” However, Rapaccioli previously served as interim dean of graduate business, alongside her role as dean of undergraduate business, so there is a slight change for business students in their administration.

While there will be few changes from the deans of FCLC, there are notable changes in the Office of Student Leadership and Community Development (OSLCD) that will affect students, the addition of two new graduate interns and the departure of the previous assistant director of Alcohol and Other Drugs Education (AODE) Kelly Schumacher, according to Dorothy Wenzel, director of OSLCD.

The two new OSLCD staffers are Princess Chukwuneke, FCRH ‘15 and graduate intern for student organizations, and Chrissy Glaser, Graduate Intern for Commuter Student Services. Chukwuneke is currently pursuing a Master’s degree from GSAS, while Glaser is pursuing a graduate degree from New York University. Chukwuneke will be advising and assisting the club leaders of Fordham Lincoln Center, while Glaser will serve as faculty advisor to the Commuting Students Association (CSA) and a supervisor of the Commuter Freshmen Mentor (CFM) program.

As for AODE, leadership of the program remains unfilled. According to Wenzel, “The position was posted with Human Resources. The search for a new Assistant Director is beginning.” She also said that the programs provided by AODE, normally education on the risks associated with heavy consumption of alcohol, will still be planned for the upcoming year. “The Office of Student Leadership and Community Development will continue to work with the new LC Health and Wellness Organization in planning outreach to the LC student community,” Wenzel added.