Students ‘Showcase’ Arts and Science Research Projects

This display features the work of Anna Abowd, FCLC’15. (Photo by Jess Luszczyk / The Observer.)

By CONNOR MANNION

The halls of Lowenstein were lined with students presenting their research in academic fields, ranging from dance and theatre to natural sciences and sociology on Thursday, April 9, for the annual spring Arts and Research Showcase.

Of the 51 participants, a number of the participants were recipients of a summer research grant. Michelle Williamson, Fordham College at Lincoln Center (FCLC) ’16, said, “I worked on my cognitive psychology project throughout the summer, and I worked through it all through the fall to find more research subjects.” Williamson presented her work on imagination and cognitive dissonance. “Imagination inflation is when you imagine donig something, you can confuse yourself and think you actually did it … what we found is that as you imagined doing a task more and more, you would become less and less confused and more focused,” Williamson said. She is continuing work on the project in order to publish it as an academic paper.

Not all participants presented summer research. The members of the Fordham at Lincoln Center’s honors program had the option of completing a tutorial, an independent research project, which is what Riley Edwards, FCLC ’16, presented.

The sophomore honors program class showcased their sophomore research project “From Brooklyn Heights: The Lower Manhattan Skyline,”. “The view of the lower Manhattan skyline from this specific neighborhood was the topic for our class,” according to Fiona Ball, FCLC ’17. “The 600 plus images we used in building the website were all taken from this specific area over the years,” Heath Hampton, FCLC ’17, continued.

Part of the Arts & Science Research Fair included design showcases by theater and design majors.

Milton Bravo, assistant academic dean of FCLC, looked over the 51 projects throughout the event, and expressed pride for the students involved. “This provides a great opportunity for students to present their research, whether completed or ongoing, and for our theater, dance and visual arts students to showcase their work.”

Milton Bravo, assistant academic dean at FCLC, speaks to a group on the Indoor Plaza. (Photo by Jess Luszczyk / The Observer.)